Help troubleshooting Error - Entangled Paths

dwalby

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building our new starter BPM, which includes a parallel processing section for AD account setup, application access, equipment setup, etc.

I'm encountering an error when trying to validate the BPM however, see screenshot. I have decisions that determine whether application setup is required based on the requesters progressive capture answers, not sure if I've set this up correctly however?

image.thumb.png.9d348041194bd554aeab84bdc61bba05.png

@Steven Boardman - you're absolutely correct! Can't believe I missed that!

Quick side question - in the progressive capture I have a checkbox section which asks the requester to confirm what applications their new starter requires. Have I setup the BPM correctly in the event that they select multiple applications? i.e. if they've selected both Microsoft Visio and Microsoft Project will both activities be assigned?

@dwalby I suspect the first issue will be trying to evaluate the output from a checkbox answer in this way - i.e the answers when chosen in PC will be held in a string (one, two, three) etc so trying to do the branch and matching on one of those outcomes isn't going to work.

There is the contains expression but i must confess i have not tried this in this context

image.png

If you had separate checkbox questions for each app then you could evaluate the answer to each answer to each question in the business process.

Alternatively if you have defined roles when on-boarding, and those roles govern app access then you could ask about the role and off the back of that evaluate the role for which apps should be deployed.

You could even combine the two, have role questions and then using the conditional field option in pc then show the questions which relate to the available apps for that role (to keep the forms uncluttered).

Hope some of this helps

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi @Steven Boardman - I've been amending my new starter BPM following advice from @Dan Munns and @Victor on how to assign tasks as per the below post. During which i also consolidated down some of the tasks (in favour of checklists) and nested parallel processing within parallel processing and fear I may now have created a monster... a monster that is again having the 'Entangled paths' error. Can parallel processing nodes be nested within 'parent' parallel processing nodes?

What makes it more frustrating is that the new starter BPM used to work as per my above post, however since I've spent the last hour editing it, it now won't allow me to save. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'll potentially lose any amendments I've made if I can't fix it today :(

image.thumb.png.fb3f9fd458035fbd3afeb641d65b499f.png

@dwalby this is where the entanglement happens (screenshot). Two paths of the 2nd (bottom) parallel process meet at "holding" status... they should not meet :) 

image.png

Basically, you would need to duplicate the "Holding Status" and "IT Equipment Setup" checkpoints and have one of each for each path... Something like this:

image.png

• Like 1