Add attachments as a field rather than a node

Guest Paul Alexander

Guest Paul Alexander

Are there any plans to have the 'add attachments' option in the Prog Caps available as a 'field' rather than a node? 

One of our Change Request progressive captures asks for 4 attachments. At the moment, the user has to go through 4 separate pages to get this done (in fact 8 because we tell the user WHICH attachment they'll need to add on the next page). This would be much 'nicer' if we could have a field on a form saying what needs to be added and, under that, an 'upload' button, followed by a field saying what needs to be added next, and a button next to it for uploading the documents.

So, rather than having to click through 4 or more forms on the Portal, there would be one page with a few 'upload' buttons.

I'm sure this isn't as easy to do as I'm imagining it to be.....but would this be possible?

thanks!

I wonder if this could be taken a step further and allow us to design our own nodes using the standard fields. (Name, site, asset details) 

This wouldn't certainly help our workflow as sometime depending who the customer is you might not ask all the questions in the same order.

Thank you for your posts.

I just wanted to find out a bit more about having standard fields that can be added to a custom form.  Progressive Capture and Custom Forms are generic features of Hornbill that are used by all applications.  We started on the idea of being able to map a field on a custom form to a field in Service Manager.  I believe that this might only be the summary and description fields at the moment.  We also have a minor change that will be adding impact and urgency to the list of available mapped fields and there is potential for others. 

If we were to find a way of adding Service Manager specific fields to the custom forms then the likelihood is that fields like Summary would be set input types such as a single line text field.  Rather than constraining you to an input type, the custom fields let you select from things like radio sets, pick lists, multi-line, date controls.  The mapping then lets you direct the output to a particular field in Service Manager.   Would the adding of more mapped fields allow you to achieve the same goal while at the same time maintain your flexibility of the input types?

Regards,

James

On 28/11/2017 at 2:25 AM, Paul Alexander said:

Are there any plans to have the 'add attachments' option in the Prog Caps available as a 'field' rather than a node? 

Regarding the Attachments, this is something that may be perceived as being more generic and possibly something that any app that uses progressive capture could take advantage of.  There are no plans at the moment for this exact requirement.  We do have a change in the backlog that was going to look to provide some more options to describe the attachment that you are requesting.  I will also find out if there is the possibility of having attachments as an input type on a custom form.

Regards,

James

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @James Ainsworth

Thanks for the reply.....

My take on this request is that I'd still like the functionality of the standard fields and attachment nodes, so if you add a 'subject' field to a form then that info still goes to the h_subject field and is still limited to a single line text field by default, BUT rather than having this in a separate node, have it as a selectable option from the drop down of available 'field type settings' (I understand that I CAN change the Field ID in the PC node so that the info does go to a specific field)

In the same vein, if you want to add an attachment, I'd like to be able to have more than one 'add attachment' field on the form. So, for instance, our Change Request PC may have an option to 'add Backout Plan attachment' and an 'Add Implementation Plan attachment' option. At the moment this will need to be done on two separate forms (nodes). I'd like to have the option of having both of these 'add attachment' options on one form (and possibly an option to 'tag' the attachments as 'Backout Plan' and 'Implementation Plan' if possible)

Thanks

Paul

• 3 months later...

+1 from me also. I've gotten complaints about this when we ran through it with our UK team :-(

As you can imagine, we want to make the logging process as painless as possible for our external customers so that they will utilise it, thereby improving our efficiency :-)

Many Thanks

• 3 months later...
Guest Paul Alexander

Hello

Has there been any more thoughts about being able to adding 'built in' forms and fields to custom forms in the progressive capture please?

• 2 months later...

There is a feature which will be available in the next update which will allow you to add a title and / or instructions to the default progressive capture Attachment form.  This is configured through new options on the Attachment form node within the Progressive Capture designer.  (Progressive Capture Documentation)

image.png

Hope this helps.

Regards,

James

• Thanks 2