Finding what DAY it is in BPM

Guest Paul Alexander

Guest Paul Alexander

Hello

We have a 'daily checks' process which we trigger by sending an automated email to Hornbill every weekday. Basically, all this does is create an SR with a load of tasks in it, so nothing fancy.

However, ONE of these tasks is only required on a Wednesday. I know that I can set up the software which sends the email to check what DAY of the week it is before it sends an email and base the Email routing rule on that, but I was wondering if there's any way in Hornbill to check the day of the week? This would then mean that I would only need ONE BPM with a decision tree which checks whether today is Wednesday and, if so, create this task, and, if not, then don't.

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Paul Alexander said:

if there's any way in Hornbill to check the day of the week?

@Paul Alexander simple answer is no... 

1 hour ago, Paul Alexander said:

I would only need ONE BPM with a decision tree which checks whether today is Wednesday and, if so, create this task, and, if not, then don't.

You can only check values of the variables passed by flow code outputs or task outcomes... 

There is no reason why a Flowcode node could not be create to do this, its a pretty simple check. You would need to raise that as a feature request so I am mentioning @James Ainsworth who can get this added to the SM backlog, not sure how quickly we could fit something like this in, but we do very much you appreciate participating in one of our spotlights so am happy to help out if we can. 

James, it would be along the lines of a flowcode node that given the current date, would take an input param of day and would return outcomes of match/no match. 

Gerry

• Like 1

Guest Paul Alexander

Thanks @Gerry and @James Ainsworth

For us, this would useful I think.....like I said before it would mean needing only one BPM with a decision tree rather than separate BPM's for each day of the week.

No rush though.....;)

thanks

They're not all scheduled, some are still requests (e.g. can x system have port y opened?) so they can be raised at any time; currently we manually hold them until the next change day, with this node we could automate it.
May apologies, I totally got sidetracked from the questions, but I'll get back on them tomorrow.

All,

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 13.00.51.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-22 at 13.04.26.png

We have released two new iBridge Utility Methods, one returns the current day of the week as a string the other returns the ISO Date String for the next occurrence of a particular day of the week.

Our Service Manager team are looking at a change to support putting a request on hold by passing in a date time string instead of a duration, hopefully these changes are beneficial to you all.

Kind Regards

Trevor Killick 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2017 at 5:07 AM, TrevorKillick said:

Our Service Manager team are looking at a change to support putting a request on hold by passing in a date time string instead of a duration, hopefully these changes are beneficial to you all.

We are just concluding the development of these feature.  This should be available in the coming weeks as part of a Service Manager update.  Keep an eye out for the release notes.

Regards,

James

• 1 month later...

Hi @Paul Alexander

I just wanted to let you know that second part to this requirement for using this with the Place on Hold operation in Service Manager has been completed and is now available in the last update.  The image below shows the variable used in the Integration Call and then how it is applied in the Update Request -> Place On Hold operation.

image.png

Let us know if this helps.

Regards,

James