Can Connections View Requests?

SJEaton

Hi

There are times when we want to make another basic user (eg the persons manager or a colleague) a connection to a request so they can see what's going on.  We have set up a connection but this doesn't seem to give the person access to view the actual request via the portal, it just means they are there to select easily if you want to send them an email (which you can do anyway).  Is there not a function that allows us to add another basic user to a request (who isn't the customer) so they can view it?

Thanks

Sam    

@SJEaton let us know how you get on with the customers manager views.   We do have a story for enabling connections to view requests on the portals but this is not scheduled as yet.  I have added you, Samuel and Martyn as interested parties to that story which will help move it's priority forward.

We'll post back here as that story moves forward, but do let us know how you get on with the customers manager option

Steve

• Like 1

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @Steven Boardman

Could you add me as a +1 for the 'connections' story please.......we would also like to add people who aren't necessarily the users' manager to see what's going on with a ticket too.

thanks

• 3 months later...

@Steven Boardman

As always ;) I would like a slight variant in that this also works for the Customer Portal and the connections are within the same organisation, as we would not always want to provide full access to the organisations/teams request, but there is a a time when selective access dictated by the connections would be required. 

I am envisaging this would be another drop down on the portal request list - My Requests, My Connected Requests, My Organisation Requests.

Cheers

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Steven Boardman - Is there a timescale against this story?

I have a growing number of 'power' users who are responsible for tracking IT issues and requests within their department who are requesting this functionality. For the meantime I've created a report that shows the request references, summaries, etc. however they've mentioned this isn't particularly useful as they are unable to see the progress and call diary.

Thanks @Steven Boardman but unfortunately this won't work for us at the moment as the 'power' users are not the managers of the staff raising requests. We use LDAP to sync users within Hornbill so managers are picked up from AD. Could I manually set the 'power' user as the manager of the department users or will this be overwritten at LDAP sync?

9 hours ago, Steven Boardman said:

@dwalby no timeframe on this currently, once it makes it into our development window we will post back with a better idea on dates.

One current option open to you, is that staff's Manager can view, track and comment on the requests raised by their staff.

image.png

Steve

@dwalby you can manually set this, but if your user import / update script is set to sync from AD then it would update and overwrite any manual changes you have made. 

* You need to consider if your existing user to manager relationships are used for things like Line Manager Approvals in processes, and if so you would not want to change their manager's to the power users

* If you are not using approvals this way, then you could look at using the manager field for this purpose, manually changing this and tweaking your import / update script not to map manager from AD

Steve

• Like 1

@Steven Boardman Thanks, manually setting this may work for us as we're currently not using approvals, etc. Do you have any pointers on how to tweak the import script to exclude manager mapping for a particular department/set of users?

I've also just realised that the LDAP 2.0 utility has been deprecated in favor of 3.0 and now has the config file options within the Hornbill instance.... will have to check this out also.

Hi @dwalby 

You can't put conditional criteria such against a manager mapping currently. But you could run two import scripts - the first one for all users who should have the manager mapped, and the second one for the users who shouldn't (simply disable the Manager Lookup in the configuration for these ones). 
You would split these groups of users up by either using the DSN and/or the LDAP filter attributes (e.g. in this import do not include anyone who is a Member Of the finance team)

Kind Regards

Bob

• 2 weeks later...