Decision tree within a form

Guest Paul Alexander

Guest Paul Alexander

Hello

I'm creating a ProgCapt form and I have a couple of questions within this form which, depending on the answer given, may or may not need extra information. This information is mandatory IF a particular option is selected in previous questions.

I understand that I can use a decision node to open up (or not) a separate form asking for more information depending on the answers given, but has the idea of having a field which pops up on the SAME form IF a particular option is selected been looked at?

For instance, the form I'm working on at the moment is a request for a new server build. On the initial form, one question is 'Location of Server', and we have three options plus an 'other' option. If the 'other' option is selected, we ask for more info. This info needs to be mandatory, however if any of the other options is selected then the 'other info' isn't required. It would be handy if this field could be on the same form as the initial question. (this is just one example...and it probably doesn't seem very important, but having the option to show or hide a field depending on which answers are given on the form would possibly open up a better way of showing the forms in the portal)

Hopefully that makes sense...anyone got any ideas or reasons why this shouldn't be possible?

thanks

Paul

Hi @Paul Alexander,

Thank you for sharing your idea. We had some conversations about how beneficial it will be to other customers too and as a result we will add this new feature to the progressive capture.

It will not be quick mainly because we have other things on our list but I'll keep you informed when we have more details.

Thanks,

Daniel.

• 1 month later...

@Darren Rose @Paul Alexander @DeadMeatGF @HHH @Dan Munns @samwoo 

A new feature has been released in experimental mode allowing you to control whether fields are displayed on a single progressive capture form based on the answers / values given to other questions on that form.

This is available for you to try now but needs enabling in your admin tool as it is still currently an experimental feature. details of how to enable and use this are provided on the wiki here:

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Progressive_Capture_Designer

There is an overview video with a simple worked example on this wiki link too

Hope this helps and do provide us with any feedback on this feature.

Steve

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Steven Boardman is it possible to add the ability to create overrode flags based on previous forms? 

And if so as a matter of urgency please? 

I am trying to get rid of our new starters form as it is (18 custom forms with 15 decision nodes) and amalgamate it into 4 custom forms but I need the 4th form to be able to use the answers provided on the 3rd form. 

If I can do this then I can also streamline approx 8 forms which are currently laid out this (old) way.

Also with other departments onboarding with Service Manager straight after the Christmas break this ability would make all there forms a lot neater (hopefully adding to the list of departments who wish to use it) 

Thanks

Hi @Dan Munns I have asked the question re previous forms and currently it is the UI restricting the options to the fields on the current custom form.  

I am waiting confirmation if the original design supported fields on previous forms or if there is still work to do to support this. Once i get confirmation i will post back here. 

I would say it is unlikely in either case if this is going to be available until early in the new year due to the Christmas break and i know the specific developer who implemented this is off this week but once i get confirmation i will post back.

I am on leave myself from tomorrow but if i get a response before i will post up otherwise i will do so in the first week in January

Regards

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

@Dan Munns just an update here to let you know the option to evaluate values from previous custom forms in your override flag conditions on fields on other custom fields has now been completed and has been pushed to beta admin - meaning you can take a look at this if you log into your instance as follow:  https://betaadmin.hornbill.com/INSTANCENAME

image.png

The new functionality will allow you to evaluate field values from multiple previous custom forms i.e field 1 on custom form 1 and if needed field 1 on custom form 2 to control if a field is shown on custom form 3.  

This will be pushed to live shortly but i know you were keen to use this functionality so wanted to let you know it is available on beta and accessible if you wanted to utilise it now.

Thanks

Steve

• Thanks 1

@Dan Munns You can use this now on your live instance.  As you say it is still a beta admin build so i would run it against one pc initially to make sure it is working as you expect, i would always recommend having a test service which you can run pc's and bp's against to make sure your happy, and obviously if you have any issues let us know.

*Just remember if you go to admin.hornbill.com/INSTANCENAME rather than betaadmin you won't see these options in your configurations for these PC's until we push this to live*

@Steven Boardman this is a great feature and I look forward to it hitting our live instances. However, what is equally impressive is the way you manage to make your progressive captures look. They are always both informative and visually appealing. I understand that wiki markup is used to some extent and am aware of the basics of wiki markup but think we would all benefit from a worked example of how you format your progressive captures with images etc. Any chance you could oblige with a video?

Regards

Keith

2 minutes ago, Steven Boardman said:

Hi @Keith Thanks

Let me see what i can do, i am happy to try and provide resources which help.  I'll put something together on using wiki mark-up in Progressive Capture on the wiki and then share the link here.  

It may well be next week now but i'll get on it asap

Steve

Excellent @Steven Boardman no major rush, but I do think it will be of great use.

Cheers

Keith

@DeadMeatGF it works for me. 

Form one set up with static check boxes values for the 3 lines are 1, 2 and 3 respectively. Display is One, Two and Three. 

Set the override switch on form two to add a new line if form one contains "1" (without quotes) and it works ok. 

Are you using static or dynamic list? It should use the values set either way though I think.  

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

OK - not sure why it wasn't working - that's how I did it, and it's working now - possibly I needed to refresh the service portal to get the new changes working.

What I am seeing now is that I can't select multiple checkboxes and have the additional fields for each checked box appear - does that take careful organisation of the conditions or does it not work that way?

Screenshot 2018-01-05 15.10.26.png