Notification on comments to tickets

nasimg

When a customer updates a ticket via email (autoresponder), or clicks update, the request list shows ticket has been changed (row looks yellow). You also can get a email saying ticket has been updated. But I've noticed when a ticket gets updated via a comment to one of your posts you don't see a notification, is this because I have not enabled a notification somewhere?

comment.PNG

Hi @nasimg

To receive a notification to a post or comment in the Timeline of a request you need to follow the request.  This is done by selecting the Follow option on the right hand side of the Timeline title bar.  This will not however differentiate between customer updates and the other posts so you will get notifications for everything that is added to the timeline.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

James

@James Ainsworth - yes I would use follow if I wasn't the owner of that ticket. What I was looking for was a visual notification that one of my tickets had been updated by the customer. This seems covered by most channels a customer can use (eg reply to an email, click on update via the portal) but not if they comment on a post (via the portal).

Nasim

Sorry we actually are getting the email notifications of comments, but the analyst was looking for the colour change in the request list view. I guess this is something they are used to seeing when viewing all their assigned requests. 

Can a comment trigger the colour change?

Nasim

I've made some changes to make this more consistent now, it won't make the it into the update we're just getting ready, but will be in the one after that :)

• 2 years later...

I appreciate this is an old Topic but can I clarify what the end result was.

Our analysts use the colour change in the list view as the main indicator for when a ticket has been updated. They tell me that they have been caught out a number of times by not seeing an update when entered as a Comment. A normal update does trigger a colour change but not a Comment. So what did Chaz do to make it 'more consistent'?

The analysts have asked if Comments can actually be switched off, as even if they are notified that there is a Comment then they have to search for it in the Timeline rather than just look at the most recent update. I don't think that is possible but it's always worth asking. We mainly want to stop portal users adding Comments as I have more 'control' over what Agents do.

Frank 

On 1/26/2020 at 12:25 PM, Frank Reay said:

even if they are notified that there is a Comment then they have to search for it in the Timeline rather than just look at the most recent update

If you change the option at the top of the timeline to "most recently updated" rather than "most recently posted" then a comment will make that post jump to the top of the timeline - in the image below there are almost a dozen updates since 13:09 but because a comment was made this "old" update now appears at the top with its new comment.
image.png

Thanks Steve - that is very useful. I note that changing this means it is set as the default for all Requests until changed back (which is fine).

However we have tested again and can confirm that Requests do not change colour in the List View when just a Comment is added (at least not in our Instance!). That is our main issue but I am still unsure what Chas actually changed back in August 2017 to make it 'more consistent'. 

I guess we can't just 'switch off' Comments altogether?