Internet Explorer Issues

Lyonel

Good morning,

I have many of my colleagues complaining about a couple of serious issues when using the Hornbill platform via Internet Explorer:

1. They get "Could not connect to server (Error code: -1) => this is probably related to the change of proxy we did recently. Could anybody confirm?

2. A HUGE amount of memory is being consumed! This slows down considerably machines...

IMPORTANT NOTE: None of these issues happen with Chrome or Firefox (incl. issue #1)

downloadOriginalImage.php?activityid=urn:buzz:activity:16fa4d14-4088-4670-ad72-3dde0da1600a&accessToken=

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

@Lyonel we know that IE is significantly slower than Firefox and Chrome.
Now, if you just open IE11 without opening any website, it already takes 200MB. Edge will take 15MB.

So, a few things. If you are looking for the smallest memory consumption browser I would go for Edge (in Win 10) although is not that fast.

If you want to go for the fastest then use Chrome, is the best.

Regarding the error message you've mentioned we don't have a record of such problem from our side. Do you only see it in IE11? These users get it constantly or is it from time to time?

Thanks,

Daniel.

@Daniel Dekel unfortunately Edge, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc... none of these browsers are an option. Only IE 11 is supported and the standard browser for our company (yes I know it is not good BUT that is how things work in a big corporate company).

The strange thing about the connection error message is that it happens only with Internet Explorer, regardless of the proxy settings (old or new) and it seems to happen constantly for those affected. Others do not have the problem...

As for the memory issue, I noticed a considerably degraded performance on IE following recent releases. Is it possible that you have a memory leak (or something similar) due to the latest changes? something that new browsers would be able to cope with but not older versions (like IE 11)?

@Lyonel

As a starting point, can you please verify that you are not seeing these same problems outside of your own network. You state that its working from home, is is possible to try other locations that are not impacted by your proxy changes?

Also, can you please try the https://www.hornbill.com/support/ page, populate the instance ID and your email address and it will perform a PingCheck against your instance, the browser orchestrates the tests so if there is a problem in your network it will show up here.  

Does this happen on any other browser or is it just an IE issue?

Gerry

Is also is worth looking at the network status from the browser Developer Console. If you press F12 you will see this opening. You can go to the "Console" tab and see if there are any errors and also look at the "Network" tab and look for red text. If you any issues please send these to us.

Thanks

@Lyonel Definitely, We are going to look at this ASAP.

I could only see memory issues in IE11, not in other browsers. I even did a performance check today in Chrome and could not see any memory leak problem although I did see something in IE11.

Anyway, we will be performing some tests in the next few days to see where that is coming from.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,

Daniel.

@Lyonel Thanks for your time over the phone just now. You mentioned that you could not press F12 because the issue has stopped happening in the office. We would really appreciate the network diagnostics as soon as someone can replicate the issue. 

Thanks

Pamela

@Lyonel

Yes the BPM designer in admin can be a bit of a memory hog, we optimised for function rather than performance for this feature as we would not expect it to be in daily use by everyone, its just an administrative function. 

IE is particularly bad at memory management so you would need a machine with more memory for this kind of capability - things work a hell of a lot better in Chrome but I understand that not everyone has Chrome available to them.

Gerry

The BPM functionality can take much more memory than other areas and is acceptable, but, if is leaking memory then this needs to be addressed because it can eventually crash the browser causing data loss. We will need to have a look at this area as well.

Ok so new piece of evidences sent by email (too big to post here) but in a nutshell here is an extract of the console log on a machine impacted

SEC7118: XMLHttpRequest for https://eurapi.hornbill.com/crown/xmlmc/session/?method=getApplicationStrings required Cross Origin Resource Sharing (CORS).
File: newsfeed
SCRIPT12057: WebSocket Error: Network Error 12057, It was not possible to connect to the revocation server or a definitive response could not be obtained.

SCRIPT7002: XMLHttpRequest: Network Error 0x2ee4, Could not complete the operation due to error 00002ee4.
SCRIPT7002: XMLHttpRequest: Network Error 0x2ee4, Could not complete the operation due to error 00002ee4.
SEC7118: XMLHttpRequest for https://eurapi.hornbill.com/crown/xmlmc/session/?method=isSessionValid required Cross Origin Resource Sharing (CORS).
TranslatorService.loadStrings -> Unable to load strings for prefixes:  ui.app.com.hornbill.docmanager.main.*$ Could not connect to server (Error code: -1)
   "TranslatorService.loadStrings -> Unable to load strings for prefixes: "
   [
      0: "ui.app.com.hornbill.docmanager.main.*$",
      length: 1
   ]
   "Could not connect to server (Error code: -1)"

TranslatorService.loadStrings -> Unable to load strings for prefixes:  ui.app.com.hornbill.servicemanager.leftMenu.*$,user.view.leftMenu.*$,ui.app.com.hornbill.servicemanager.pageTitles.*$,user.view.dropdown.*$,status.*$,user.view.raise.new.*$,user.view.privacy.visibility.*$,user.view.applyToRequest.*$,user.view.raise.fromPost$,user.view.raise.fromEmail$,user.view.applyToRequest.*$,user.view.request.moreInfo.*$,user.shortcuts.quicksearch.*$,ui.app.com.hornbill.servicemanager.servicePortfolio$,user.view.request.facet.*$ Could not connect to server (Error code: -1)
   [
      0: "ui.app.com.hornbill.servicemanager.leftMenu.*$",
      1: "user.view.leftMenu.*$",
      2: "ui.app.com.hornbill.servicemanager.pageTitles.*$",
      3: "user.view.dropdown.*$",
      4: "status.*$",
      5: "user.view.raise.new.*$",
      6: "user.view.privacy.visibility.*$",
      7: "user.view.applyToRequest.*$",
      8: "user.view.raise.fromPost$",
      9: "user.view.raise.fromEmail$",
      10: "user.view.applyToRequest.*$",
      11: "user.view.request.moreInfo.*$",
      12: "user.shortcuts.quicksearch.*$",
      13: "ui.app.com.hornbill.servicemanager.servicePortfolio$",
      14: "user.view.request.facet.*$",
      length: 15
   ]

TranslatorService.loadStrings -> Unable to load strings for prefixes:  user.view.newsfeed.*$,user.view.workspace.list.*$ Could not connect to server (Error code: -1)
   [
      0: "user.view.newsfeed.*$",
      1: "user.view.workspace.list.*$",
      length: 2
   ]

Hi @Lyonel, thanks for that log. The first line is the one that concerns me. 

SEC7118: XMLHttpRequest for https://eurapi.hornbill.com/crown/xmlmc/session/?method=getApplicationStrings required Cross Origin Resource Sharing (CORS).

I've been checking for that error and found something. is saying something about IE11 and Win 7 in particular. Maybe the security policy in windows is too restrictive? We will keep looking.

This is the document I've found:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24646732/sec7118-xmlhttprequest-cors-ie-console-message

Daniel.

@Lyonel

We have investigated the memory usage problem and have identified it as an issue in the BPM relating to dragging and continuously re-drawing the connections (lines). We need to investigate further but for now we have applied a short-term fix where we only re-draw the lines once you drop the node you have moved on the canvas, this fixes the memory problem for the short term but we will find a better solution to this after further investigation and roll out as soon as we can. 

Gerry

@Lyonel

You appear to be the only customers impacted, this seems to be an IE11/Windows7 combination issue, nothing relating to CORS has changed on our system for months so something your end (possibly a Microsoft background update, or maybe a security setting/profile, or network configuration) has changed. I am not sure there is anything we can do about it.  As a test, could you install Chrome on one of the affected Windows 7 computers and see if that works ok?

Gerry