Custom fields still missing from email template emails

lee mcdermott

Hi,

We still seem to have an issue where emails are being sent from an email template which uses the custom field variable to populate the email

and the data is not being populated.

I know the last update was meant to fix this and I thought it had as the couple of forms I checked seemed to be working. But have just found this one not working still?

any ideas

thanks lee

change info missing.JPG

@Victor

hi victor yes.

example Ch00006265 - using email template email_cabmembers_emergency_change

CH00006299 - using email template email_Teamleaders_Normal_change

Both are change requests but one email is generated during the BP when an emergency change is logged. The other is generated during BP if a normal change is logged.

BP process is "RFC"

@lee mcdermott it is not the same issue, but behavior is the same... so the defect you mentioned is fixed... this one here is caused by something else...

Now, I can see why the template did not populate the variables, the custom field values are simply empty in the database... so the issue (somehow) occurred during mapping process in ProCap... I'll keep looking...

@lee mcdermott so, the reason why the custom fields failed to populate is because the number of characters for the information (text) in one of the fields (h_custom_e) was greater than the max. number of characters allowed for the field (255). Looking at both examples you mentioned, the "Description" information/question, in both scenarios, is over 300 characters...

The only solution I can think of would be to limit the number of characters during input for "Description" to 255.... and perhaps any other text field where this might happen...

@Victor

yes I will try that - thanks for the help.

Can I just clarify for my understanding  - the custom field in the Database can only hold 255 characters ? - or the email side of things when using a custom field can only contain 255 characters?

as one of those changes for the description field has 302 characters or 359 including spaces.

@lee mcdermott

7 minutes ago, lee mcdermott said:

does it store it in one place as part of the call (with more than 255 characters)but then also populate the custom_ field with the same data but limited to 255 characters?

Something like this, yes.

"h_custom_..." fields in requests table and field in questions, are two separate entities...

The "Questions" section of a request is using the info stored in "h_itsm_questions" table. Here you can store more than 255 because for each question/answer you have a separate record.

The mapping to custom fields in requests table, the fields you can add in the "Details" section of a request, will be done on "h_custom_..." fields in requests table. Here you have the 255 character limit. Because all data in custom fields will be stored in one record, teh record for the request. And you can't make these fields to hold large amount of text, the performance impact would be unbearable..

There is a change in the backlog to redesign this functionality to allow custom fields to hold more than current limit.

@Victor

Ok thats great thanks.

What I am now thinking I might do is remove these 2 fields from the form (as these are the only 2)that would ever contain more than 255 characters and add back into the prog capture the request details to capture summary and description. I assume the description field will hold more than 255 characters and should work if I include the description field on the email template?