Reports - Can you schedule?

Guest TrishaRush

Guest TrishaRush

Hi

Is it possible to schedule reports? For example, run a particular report every Monday at 10:00, in a particular format (e.g. .csv) and send it to a given list of email recipients?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi @dconagh

Report scheduling is something we are currently working on, in parallel with new in-app reporting and PDF output.  You may have seen we made scheduled tasks available as an experimental feature just recently and scheduled reporting is the next step. 

Once we have some more concrete idea around availability we will post back here.

In the meantime i have added you, and @HHH as interested parties to this story. 

Regards

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Steven Boardman

I know you last posted only a few weeks ago but I am really hoping to hear an update on this soon.

Tomorrow marks the end of our first month with this tool in production and I will be preparing reports for our Senior IT Managers and Business Directors for the first time with this system. The lack of scheduled reporting is going to seriously hamper me when it comes to this and I am not looking forward to explaining that the shiny new tool has less functionality than the tool we just got rid of in this regard.

Just as an example, in Supportworks I received a scheduled report at the same time every day telling me the total number of active requests in the system. Once a week, I'd record this and then trend it once a month. Very simple. If I wasn't here or I forgot to do it one day, no problem, all the records were in my inbox. I could, if asked, get very granular with the data very quickly because it was consistently run at the same time of day and always gave me the same info. Right now, I can't do this. I tried to set up a measure, but couldn't get it to work presumably because it's not designed to capture active information in that way. I haven't been able to record it at the same time every day because stuff happens. This means, for the first time, I won't have an ongoing week by week trend this month.

(Any suggestions how I can achieve this, simply, without a scheduled report are welcome)

Additionally, I expect I will very soon start hearing from department heads who are interested in their lack of regular reports of requests.

Thanks

Chris

Hi @chrisnutt

@Victor is correct we are working on and will be introducing report scheduling but this is still probably a number of weeks away from being available.   We are working on various aspects of reporting and scheduling, output types as well as new in-app reporting are all areas which are actively being worked on and will be rolled out progressively, so we may not have something for your specific requirement this month but hopefully will have fairly shorty.

In the meantime i would like to see if we can bottom out the issue you were having with your measures, as you should be able to create a measure which gives you a daily count of the open (active) tickets you have, it should be a straight forward one, so would it be possible to share a screen shot or attachment of the config you have of the measure you were trying to create? this to me sounds like it would give you exactly what you need - i.e a daily count of currently active tickets so you would not need to manually count them at the end of each week or day, and you would not need to remember to take the daily count, as the measure would do this for you and give you the accurate daily active count each and every day.

Anyway hopefully the news on the scheduling is positive, and if we can help with the measures maybe we can get some analytics there which you can share on widgets and dashboards which department heads can access to see this info.

Steve

I wanted to post a quick update on the progress of scheduled reports.  We have been doing a lot of work in this area and have been looking at how we make this do some really useful things. There are a number of things we have had to develop in order to pull this together. 

• Scheduling - we built a set of API's and system functions to support generic scheduling, we initially used this for scheduled tasks, this is now also being used to drive scheduled reports
  • Presentation - we have re-styled all report output and have implemented PDF output, we will be replacing the HTML output with PDF output as the standard, this makes the report presentation consistent and portable on all platforms including mobile. 
  • Delivery - our current implementation of report delivery will be via Document Manager, not email. We have taking this decision as we want to facilitate other functions and capabilities, specifically we want to enable mobile delivery and report schedule history as well as collaboration of course. 

We are still rounding out some of the finer technical points but I am pleased to say that all of the technical problems have been solved so we have something working and I hope to have this in preview/beta in the next 2-3 weeks all being well. 

Gerry

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gerry said:

@chrisnutt

Yes of course, we have also added native XLSX format too. 

Gerry

This is awesome stuff! :D

Can the export deal with field formatting? For example if exporting a mobile asset will it be able to retain the '0' in front of the mobile number?

Would this also resolve the issue where a field will show as a Scientific Notation, instead this time will show as the actual value?

Cheers,

Samuel

8 hours ago, Claire Holtham said:

Can you mark us as 'Interested' too. :)

We'd be particularly interested in them being emailed....

Hi Claire,

Everyone will get this as soon as its in preview, you will see a Harry Hornbill notice once its rolled out. We wont be doing email distribution at this time, we are using Document Manager as the distribution mechanism because we get more functionality and of course it makes the reports more collaborative. 

Gerry

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, samwoo said:

This is awesome stuff! :D

Can the export deal with field formatting? For example if exporting a mobile asset will it be able to retain the '0' in front of the mobile number?

Hi Sam,

Yes I am pretty sure when we put text content like a phone number into the XLSX format we put it in as text and not as a formula/numeric value. I would need to check to be 100% sure but you can take it thats correct, if its not I would consider that a defect.

Gerry

• Like 1