Jump to content

Bare line feeds (Email Issue)


Recommended Posts

@Stephen Hutchinson

We have been experiencing the same issue as well and have logged a incident with Hornbill to assist with diagnosing if it is something specific to our templates or more with the SMTP outbound connection process. 

We are also using Office 365 for the email delivery mechanism.

Cheers

Martyn

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Stephen Hutchinson we are now looking to find the root cause for this issue. In @Martyn Houghton case we are now looking at email templates after we ruled out any interference from a 3rd party software.

 

@Stephen Hutchinson do you have any 3rd party software that inserts something into an outgoing email? (like AV disclaimer or security appliances). These are also known to insert bare linefeeds into email messages. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ALL

We are still looking into this internally. This issue occurs if the source message transfer agent (MTA) didn't append the expected CR-LF combination to the end of the message. MTA in this case is Hornbill.(https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2998901/-smtpsent.barelinefeedsareillegal-ndr-received-by-exchange-online-or-eop-users-in-office-365-dedicated-itar)

Having an email message with lines ending with only LF would not cause any problems until Office 365 is configured to reject bare line feeds.

 From research done by @Martyn Houghton and our platform team we suggest this possible workaround:

If the sender cannot correct the sent messages, or if the gap must be bridged until the message format is corrected, the recipient can create an inbound transport rule to append a disclaimer to the messages from the problematic sender (this being us, Hornbill). The disclaimer will append the expected CR-LF combination to the message so that it can be delivered. (This disclaimer may consist of a single character such as a period or a dash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Victor said:

@Stephen Hutchinson we are now looking to find the root cause for this issue. In @Martyn Houghton case we are now looking at email templates after we ruled out any interference from a 3rd party software.

 

@Stephen Hutchinson do you have any 3rd party software that inserts something into an outgoing email? (like AV disclaimer or security appliances). These are also known to insert bare linefeeds into email messages. 

Hi Victor, we do not have 3rd party software that has inserted anything into our out going email. I have had an Hornbill Consultant that (last week) has performed some changes to my incident Management BPM, including the email notifications. They look fine to an un-trained eye in this field. This definitely triggers when sending content from templates.

 

Regards

Stephen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Stephen Hutchinson you won't be able to see the lines ending with just an LF even with a "trained" eye :) ... I am (we are) almost certain it is the email template editor which creates the LF and not the LF-CR. However I am certain that the issue did not occur due to recent changes made in templates.

I would advise to apply the suggested workaround while our dev team investigate a possible alternative to enhance Hornbill SMTP connector (meaning that Hornbill SMTP could "normalise" the message before sending).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a quick update on this issue. Our investigation so far reveals the issue to be isolated to emails which are using templates (specifically the CK Editor we are using when designing email templates). All other outbound emails (such as email sent from our mail interface and email sent using default and not edited templates) are not affected. This is not caused by any change we have done recently in Hornbill.

For Office 365 users it occurs because until recently, Office 365 automatically removed bare line feed characters from mail to help it get delivered to recipients using email servers that don’t support chunking and the BDAT command (such as Hornbill).To comply with RFC 2822, Office 365 no longer removes bare line feeds from messages. As a result, messages sent to users from Hornbill may be more likely to be rejected.
(https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fix-email-delivery-issues-for-error-code-5-6-11-in-Office-365-81dafee7-26af-4d79-b174-8f78980dfafb?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US)

For other mail services users (e.g. MS Exchange) the issue could occur due to SMTP connector changes whereby the connector is now configured to reject bare line feeds.

Currently we working to get Hornbill mail in line with RFC 2822 requirements (https://forums.hornbill.com/topic/10012-dkim-for-outbound-email/).

 

For the time being we suggest the following possible workarounds:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/06/2017 at 4:18 PM, Victor said:

Just a quick update on this issue. Our investigation so far reveals the issue to be isolated to emails which are using templates (specifically the CK Editor we are using when designing email templates). All other outbound emails (such as email sent from our mail interface and email sent using default and not edited templates) are not affected. This is not caused by any change we have done recently in Hornbill.

For Office 365 users it occurs because until recently, Office 365 automatically removed bare line feed characters from mail to help it get delivered to recipients using email servers that don’t support chunking and the BDAT command (such as Hornbill).To comply with RFC 2822, Office 365 no longer removes bare line feeds from messages. As a result, messages sent to users from Hornbill may be more likely to be rejected.
(https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fix-email-delivery-issues-for-error-code-5-6-11-in-Office-365-81dafee7-26af-4d79-b174-8f78980dfafb?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US)

For other mail services users (e.g. MS Exchange) the issue could occur due to SMTP connector changes whereby the connector is now configured to reject bare line feeds.

Currently we working to get Hornbill mail in line with RFC 2822 requirements (https://forums.hornbill.com/topic/10012-dkim-for-outbound-email/).

 

For the time being we suggest the following possible workarounds:

Thanks for the update around this do far Victor. We currently use O365 and Hornbill templates to notify our customers regarding updates, 3 strike rules & general correspondence which was set up by the Consultants team. Because Hornbill are not yet inline with the RFC 2822 requirements our customers can not receive our emails. Can I ask:

i. When do Hornbill plan on be inline with the RFC2822 requirements?

ii. I'm right in saying that the templates out of the box (untouched) shouldn't be affected? If so can our templates be reset back to the default and re-created?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Stephen Hutchinson

4 minutes ago, Stephen Hutchinson said:

When do Hornbill plan on be inline with the RFC2822 requirements?

I suggest following this thread for updates on this: 

 

7 minutes ago, Stephen Hutchinson said:

the templates out of the box (untouched) shouldn't be affected? If so can our templates be reset back to the default and re-created?

Yes, the should work. I can ask our cloud team to see if they can deploy the default email templates files in your instance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Stephen Hutchinson I need to have a look at your current templates and see the difference... just a quick note, the "new" templates (templates created as new in your instance) will be removed if we deploy our default templates...

Just a quick question, did you have a look if is possible to (temporarily) deactivate/disable the bare line feed rejection in your Office 365?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Victor said:

@Stephen Hutchinson I need to have a look at your current templates and see the difference... just a quick note, the "new" templates (templates created as new in your instance) will be removed if we deploy our default templates...

Just a quick question, did you have a look if is possible to (temporarily) deactivate/disable the bare line feed rejection in your Office 365?

i. Might be an idea to liaise with Daniel Riley because he is aware when our email templates are used i.e. 3 strike rule . We presently use templates in our live incident management BPM. Daniel has created a new incident management BPM to go live end of next week with templates labelled EmailClosureStike v2. Both sets of templates will need amending. If they are remove can they be replaced like for like?

ii. Unfortunately is not possible to deactivate/disable the bare line feed rejection in our Office 365.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stephen Hutchinson said:

Both sets of templates will need amending. If they are remove can they be replaced like for like

@Stephen Hutchinson I'm afraid not. If they (our cloud team) were to replace the templates they will basically copy the files from our repository and deploy them in your instance. It will basically override all existing templates.

However, I would advise to hold on for now on this. I just had a chat with our platform dev team and they seem to have something ready to fix this issue cater for this scenario early next week. So I think (fingers crossed), if all testing goes well on Monday, we can deploy a fix an update your instance on Tuesday ( @Martyn Houghton FYI).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...