Upload Assets - TYPE field - what goes here?

Guest TrishaRush

Guest TrishaRush

Hi

I am exploring this and have downloaded a CSV file and I am trying to upload a smart phone record - what value goes in the TYPE field? I've tried Smart Phone and Mobile Device and various numbers e.g. 1 and 5 to no avail. How do I find out what I should be entering?

I get an error "The type supplied ("5") is not a valid type for the class(class)"

Thanks, Trish

Hi Trisha, 

thanks for your post. The type field needs to contain the name of the asset type to which this asset record is going to fall under. The Hornbill Asset structure can be considered a three-level hierarchy:

• Class
  • Type
  • Asset Record

The Asset Classes are integral to Service Manager and drive which extended attributes are available against an asset record, therefore we don't have any power over these. Beneath an asset Class sits a number of asset types. We have full control to create and delete the types that exist beneath each Class.

In the CSV we must specify the name of the type, so in your case "Smart Phone" would be the correct approach. If this isn't working, check that the "Smart Phone" type is still configured beneath the Mobile Device Asset Class as shown in the attached image.

If that is all there, ensure that you are selecting the right asset class from the drop-down menu when using the CSV upload facility. We have a short video that is well worth watching at https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Upload_Assets_CSV

Finally, as a last resort, excel can have a habit of maintaining invisible control characters that are introduced through any copying and pasting of text between applications. This could effect the ability for Hornbill to perform a successful look-up for an asset type. Try using the excel "TRIM" and "CLEAN" functions on the contents of the type column to ensure that double spaces and control characters are removed.

I hope that helps,
Dan

Asset Types.PNG

2 hours ago, TrishaRush said:

Hi

I am exploring this and have downloaded a CSV file and I am trying to upload a smart phone record - what value goes in the TYPE field? I've tried Smart Phone and Mobile Device and various numbers e.g. 1 and 5 to no avail. How do I find out what I should be entering?

I get an error "The type supplied ("5") is not a valid type for the class(class)"

Thanks, Trish

Hi @Trish,

If it helps I have a Macro-Enabled Excel Template which you could manipulate to your benefit.

Please note that this is for the Computer-System class only - you should be able to take the CSV template from the other classes and replace what's in the template.

In the first sheet I have highlighted the columns which are mandatory to us. The rest of the columns are hidden via the column grouping functionality in Excel. If we need an extra column we take just the one column out of the grouping and format it like the mandatory ones.

The second sheet contains the values that we use. You can tweak to to they way your system is set up.
Computer_Asset_Hornbill_Import.xltm

Hope it helps,

Samuel