Process for dealing with problems and Known errors

lee mcdermott

Hi,

just wondering how anyone deals with problems and know errors from a perspective of logging a problem, adding a workaround then raising a know error off the back of this?

I am hoping to implement problem management in a more formalised way. 

I can see how to add workarounds and publish these as know errors to the portal for users to have a view of.

My queries are
1. How do you make known errors or workarounds easily accessible for the analyst. In terms of searching for all known errors or workarounds quickly? 
Obviously they can search known errors globally but would they then have to read through all know errors that are logged to try and match to the call they are dealing with?
One thought I had was to create a document\s in the document manager and tag each known error document which we could create so they can search for them easily?
Is there a better way?

2. Where do people assign their problems and known errors? Do you just assign the call to the team assigned to investigate it which would maybe make sense for problems.
wasn't sure on the best method to deal with logging known errors?
create a new team called known errors and assign all calls to this as a way to keep them all grouped together?

any thoughts would be useful

many thanks

lee

Guest Ehsan

Hi @lee mcdermott,

This is a great topic and I am sure the Hornbill community will share their thoughts on this too.

As you pointed out, publishing Problems and Known Errors for users through the Portal is a great option for keeping teams within your Organisation informed. In addition, the Search feature within the Portal allows users to search, using key words, for Requests, FAQs and Known Issues that may contain the search term(s).

When you get a chance, please have a read through the following Wiki documents which explore the options that are available to you.

Capture.PNG

The feature that I believe could be hugely beneficial to Analysts for better handling Incident Management and Problem Management would be the ability to share existing FAQs, Published Problems, Published Known Issues and Service Catalogs that relate to the information that is supplied by an Analyst while raising a new Request.

When raising a new Request, an Analyst can provide information such as a summary of the issue that is being reported, the category that the issue may relate to, the Service or Catalog that is being requested and Assets that may be affected. It would be beneficial to use this information to present the Analyst with the FAQs, Published Problems, Published Known Issues and Service Catalogs that may relate to this information. What are your thoughts on this? We already have a change proposal to provide this capability within Service Manager, to improve an Analyst's experience of using Hornbill. This requirement is currently being investigated.

In relation to where you can contain Known Errors; In Service Manager, we recommend that your offerings are driven by Service Portfolios. You can manage the processes within your Organisation through Services. I am sure the Hornbill community can provide some examples too;

The following is an example, where the immediate Support, Problem Management and HR functions within an Organisation are managed through separate Services.

Capture1.JPG

Within each Service, I have added the teams that will use and can benefit from the processes, Catalogs and other Request related options that are configured.

Capture2.JPG

Analysts can customise their Requests List through the option to "Set current view as my Home" (e.g. Only shows Incidents that relate to the Support service) and in addition, filter Requests by type or create Views and Charts on a Service by Service basis.

You could also use the same Service Portfolio to manage Incident and Problem Management functions (and all other Request Types) and then simply add the teams that can benefit from FAQs, Published Known Issues and etc as the supporting teams. When you get a chance, please have a read on the benefits of a Service's Supporting Teams - https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Service_Support_Teams .

Capture4.PNG

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ehsan

@Ehsan

thanks for that, that is great.

I agree a great feature would be when an analyst is logging a call against a particular service it shows FAQ's, problems, know errors and workarounds while they are logging the call as a prompt and reminder that these exist.

If you have issues that go on for a long period it is easy to forget about them if you are not directly involved - which most analysts logging calls won't be.

So I would say that is a very beneficial feature and would recommend adding this to future improvements.

• 1 month later...
Guest Paul Alexander
On 5/20/2017 at 4:26 PM, Ehsan said:

When raising a new Request, an Analyst can provide information such as a summary of the issue that is being reported, the category that the issue may relate to, the Service or Catalog that is being requested and Assets that may be affected. It would be beneficial to use this information to present the Analyst with the FAQs, Published Problems, Published Known Issues and Service Catalogs that may relate to this information. What are your thoughts on this? We already have a change proposal to provide this capability within Service Manager, to improve an Analyst's experience of using Hornbill. This requirement is currently being investigated.

Hi

Is there any news on when/if this particular update might happen please? We're currently looking at starting to implement Problem management and really think that we'd benefit from being able to publish the Known Errors and Workarounds while someone is logging a call.

thanks

Paul

Hi @Paul Alexander

Thanks for your post.  We do have plans for providing information about Problems, Known Issues, and FAQs as part of the Progressive Capture.  At the moment we have the ability to display solutions that are provided by Problems or Known Errors that are linked to a request.  Currently in development is some new functionality that will allow FAQs to also be visible through the Solution Action.  Once the options around the Solutions action are completed this will feed into the ability for us to work on providing this information as you raise a request through Progressive Cap.

Regards,

James

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul, 

We have just provided an update to Service Manager that now extends the Solutions tab on a request to include FAQs.  More information about this can be found here.

We still plan on introducing more features for presenting Problems, KEs, and FAQs when raising a request.  This is still in its planning stages and is not currently scheduled for development.  I will continue to update this post as it progresses.

Regards,

James