Restart a ticket afterBuisness process error

Is there a way to restart or reset a ticket from the point before the BPM started?

We had a Service request for movers, starters and leavers which had an error in a BPM node and need to bring it back into the request list fresh.

Can it be done?

Cheers

Paul

If the user has the Service Manager Application Right A "Restart BPM Process", then when viewing a request with a failed bpm, a restart icon is displayed to the right:

restart bpm.png

I do not think any of our roles have this right by default, so you may need to create a role, and assign it to those users requiring this.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan

Nope, must be missing a trick again. We all have the Restart Icon but it does nothing.

In Roles - Service Manager - Application Rights where do I find ""Restart BPM Process", . Even as superuser I can't edit to add or create in these roles areas.

Is there anything else you think I should be looking to change to make it work?

Cheers

Paul

restart.JPG

smar.JPG

I'm fairly sure there are limited scenarios where the restart button works as you might think it does.
My understanding is that the BP is attached to the request on creation, and most changes to the BP will not affect already running requests. The restart button doesn't reload the BP afresh and start again, I think it's more of a "try that last step again" option.

Hopefully Hornbill will drop in with a better explanation.

4 hours ago, DeadMeatGF said:

I'm fairly sure there are limited scenarios where the restart button works

Correct.

My understanding is that the BP is attached to the request on creation, and most changes to the BP will not affect already running requests.

Correct, with an addition: no changes to a BP applies retroactively to a BP which is already attached to a request.

fect already running requests. The restart button doesn't reload the BP afresh and start again, I think it's more of a "try that last step again" option

Correct. (I think... a while back it used to do just that, restart the whole thing... nowadays it re-tries the failed step only)

@DeadMeatGF @Paul Morrow as suggested, the "Restart BP" action works only in specific scenarios: the BP restarts if the error occurs due to an issue outside the BP itself. I'll give you an example that make this statement a bit more clear: Let's say you have an "Email" node with a mailbox or email address and it fails at this node because the mailbox or the email address are incorrect. You can go and change the mailbox details or email address to match the ones configured in the BP then you can restart the BP successfully. This because you change something to make it work that was outside the BP.

Now in counterpart to give you an example where it won't work. Let' say you have a BP with a decision node with two branches, one if outcome is A and second if outcome is B. For some reason when teh decision is reached and evaluates the theoretical outcome is actually C. In this case the BP will throw an error as it does not have a valid branch to go through... You won't be able to restart this step because the change you would need to make is actually in the BP itself (adding an additional branch for outcome C).

Hope this makes sense :)

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post but I wanted the info on what permissions enable a "User" in Service Manager to restart the BPM

image.thumb.png.2cf4d345e4dbadcc92769ed5a7b117ca.png

I'm able to do this but we have a lot of request that are created by API, they sometimes have this problem where a "Restart the last step" fixes the BPM error. But most analysts do not have the permissions to do this.

Is there a role I can create or give that will allow staff to do this (saves them coming to me).

Regards

Nasim

@nasimg and anyone else.

In case anyone thinks to just allocate this role to analysts for this sole purpose (restart a workflow from request UI) please be mindful that Service Desk Admin role also provides other types of access and rights, for example it can access any request in the system bypassing the restrictions that subscriptions and teams supporting a service impose. So, if you have any areas or functionality that you do not want the user to access, please ask here first.

1 hour ago, Victor said:

@nasimg and anyone else.

In case anyone thinks to just allocate this role to analysts for this sole purpose (restart a workflow from request UI) please be mindful that Service Desk Admin role also provides other types of access and rights, for example it can access any request in the system bypassing the restrictions that subscriptions and teams supporting a service impose. So, if you have any areas or functionality that you do not want the user to access, please ask here first.

@Victor

Thanks for the reminder - in my case I have some staff who already have this role so I can push the requests to them. 

It would be nice to have a separate role for this particular function - but if that's not possible at least we know who can help.

Nasim

@Victor

Yes aware of the admin area (under Manage Executed Processes) but that's not the way I think it should work (in my case).

User spots a failed BPM in the request they are dealing with and would just restart it to fix the issue.

Appreciate in many cases (like the one you highlighted) you have to fix the underlying problem (eg. mailbox/ email address) before the restart.

Nasim