Linking assets to multiple users

samwoo

Hello,

We have a requirement to link assets to multiple users, mostly software / licence assets.

As an example I have created a new Software Sub-Type of Licences (would be nice to have an entirely new Class of Asset called Licences). As it would be too cumbersome to list and manage every single licence key for every single Application in Hornbill, I have created generic Licence assets per Licence Type per Application.

Whilst some are linked to Laptops / Desktops / Smartphones, a lot of Licences are also linked to individual users (Office 365 Licences for example).
591c5b1c1f709_2017-05-1715_17_30-(286)Assets-Hornbill.png.c68790f3afc2c1158b4dd74b79b45348.png

In each of these assets, there will be a link to the spreadsheet where the Licence details of every asset/user is held.

Is there a way we can link assets to multiple users, not just other assets? 

We are still trying to work out the best way to keep CMDB in Hornbill up to date... our data really isn't good at the moment.

Thanks,

Samuel

Hi Samuel,

We do have a planned change in our backlog to allow for multiple people being added as Owners and Used By.  The plan will be to allow multiple individuals or the ability to use a group such as a department.  This would be particularly useful for things like shared printers.

I will make sure you are added to the planned change Samuel.  This is not in our current development schedule but I will keep you updated as it progresses.

Regards,

James

• Like 1

Hi @James Ainsworth,

Many thanks for this. I will look out for any updates on this.

Could we also have the option in addition to the above to bulk link users to an asset? Via an excel file uploaded to Hornbill and also via API imports?

The excel file would be specifically handy because most systems allow you to export a list of current users, so being able to bulk upload them into Hornbill after exporting the list would be great.

It's probably too early, but will this allow us to see all assets against the customer? If so this will be great for the new starters / movers / leavers processes.

Thanks,

Samuel

• 1 year later...

I'm pleased to let you know that we now have a feature that allows you to add multiple users against an asset.  On each asset next to the Used By field, you can mark it as a Shared asset.  Once enabled, you can add multiple users, or select Groups that use this asset.  

image.png

I hope this helps.

Regards,

James