Customer/Service Portal - export request list

Hi @Martyn Houghton

Could we know more about the use case here? I say that because having such a function would most likely lead to needing more complex functions like formatting, sorting, date range filtering etc... which is not really what the list  in the service portal is intended for.  It is highly unlikely an internal IT user would require such a capability so I expect this is something to do with the need to facilitate external organisations/service integration of some form... It would be useful to understand the use case so we can make a judgement of how best to meet such a need. 

Thanks

Gerry

@Gerry

The use case is that we have organisations who want to download request history of their current active incidents and also their closed requests, in order to review/report on this information in Excel. For the basic level it is just the exporting of the current columns via CSV.

This is to avoid us having to implement individual reports for each organisation and have to run them manually as there is no process to schedule/distribute them at the moment.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi @Martyn Houghton

Ok thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. I guess my only concern if the simple exporting of what is being displayed turns out not to be enough, service reporting requirements this way could lead to a lot to *extra* needs.  Just exporting the list to CSV should be pretty straight forward.

Gerry

@Martyn Houghton

I think thats the point, there will always be something thats *needed* thats not there, reporting is quite different to providing a list to browse and drill down into - thats my concern.  Once we add the export we are opening the doors to reporting requirements and thats not really what the intention of the list in the service portal is.  Perhaps, before we go adding an export we could get a clearer picture of what other information might be required - it may be that we would need to build a specific reporting/exporting feature that would be flexible enough to serve future needs - rather than creating something that will turn the list into something it is not intended to be.  This might also be a diversification between the service (internal) portal and customer (external) portal as I do not invasive that an internal user would ever need (or justify a need) to be able to download the list of open and historic requests. 

@James Ainsworth we should look at this requirement in more detail before we just throw an export list option in.

Gerry

Hi @Martyn Houghton

I just wanted to confirm if the ability to schedule and deliver a report removes the need for an export option?  We are working on a couple of solutions toward being able to schedule a report.  Once we have confirmed our approach we can give you a better idea on time frames.

Another option, not too different from an export, would be to provide a ''Print'' option on the customer's request list.  A bit more simplistic than an export and possibly more fitting for the audience. 

Regards,

James

@James Ainsworth

We see the scheduling of a report as a workaround rather than a final solution. The point being is that providing the ability to export the details from the customer portal is down to the customer and they can do this on demand. Scheduling of a report involves us having to generate and setup a report for each customer who request it.

In terms of using the report option as a work around, we would want to be able to format the output as CSV etc to allow the customer to load and manipulate the information in Excel or similar application.

In terms of columns, I appreciate the limits in terms of the screen real estate on the portals for the request list, so perhaps including the SL two coloured dot approach from the user app Request List might be a good idea, but then include within response/resolution flag in the export option along with the date fields for targets and actual.

From and administration point of view, we would want to enable it on an individual organisation or even login basis much like the option to see all organisation requests.

In short with a growing number of customers/organisations, we are looking a self service approach, not one that requires setup and management of an ever increasing number of reports etc.

Cheers

Martyn

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Some of the users of the Self Service Portal (they are mostly managers) are requesting to be able to export their Request List (as well as their Staffs request list).

They require this information for auditing purposes, and today someone needed this for a Freedom of information request (ie. how many outstanding calls a team has, and what services they were raised against).

The managers do not have access to Hornbill, only the Portal and we do not have the capacity to start doing requests to write reports for this sort of information the customer may require. The customers needs to be able to extract their own (or staff's) information at will.

+1 for the original idea of this post by @Martyn Houghton, i hope this can be considered as something to be added into Hornbill in the near future.

Thanks,

Samuel Wood

@samwoo @Martyn Houghton

I just want to re-iterate the above comments, providing reporting features/capabilities really is beyond the intended scope of the service portal.  I think we could/would add a simple list export of what you can see on the screen/in your list but it would not go much further than that.  The scheduled reports as @James Ainsworth is suggesting would be an option.  Exporting the list as you see it on the screen in the portal would be another option.  But providing a customer facing reporting tool, no matter how trivial would be out of scope, simply because once we add it we would then be faced with a barrages of "oh can we just have this extra field" or "I just need to be able to specify a date range"... and so it would go on.  

So rather than trying to turn the request list (and the behind the scenes data model and queries) into something its not designed to be, it would be more appropriate is to create a customer facing (i.e. present in the portal) reporting module which you could choose to provide to your customers or not. 

Thoughts?
Gerry

@Gerry

I think our main issue, is that we want the customers to be able to self serve, we have hundreds of external organisations, so scheduling individual reports for them is not sustainable. We only do this for a small subset of the  organisations who have this as part of the service management contract.

Our requirement is really to allow them to download/export the list request so they can then use it in Excel or something similar rather than a true reporting tool. As like you say once you give someone A they will also want B, so our approach would be to hold the line around this is the data that is available to you to download.

What sort of scope are you looking at in terms of the reporting  as you could then open up requirements for things such as organisation or customers(contact) dashboards etc.  My thinking was to try contain it too an export option to minimise administration overhead, but it depends if there are other related requirements which the reporting tool would also fore fill.

Cheers

Martyn

@Martyn Houghton

As I said, a simple list export would be reasonable to add, but I expect that will not be enough, for a start I expect those lists to be ever growing historical lists, and so downloading a whole list into Excel and then having to extract the rows based on a date range for example would be a common use case, and we would not support date range selection for example.  The list is pages for display, this would be another problem as the export would only export the current page - unless we go and build different queries and code to deal with reporting output, albeit a simple tabular list this needs to be built with the extreme possibilities in mind, again this type of function is way beyond the scope of the request list designed to allow customers to browse their list of open requests. 

This is where a reporting module would come in, it would allow you to define some basic report types that the customer could use to extract the data they need in a more usable way.  Possibly it might also let the customer schedule their own report and/or get the output in PDF form.  There may be some scope for simplified dashboards too - in essence what you are talking about, a customer friendly self-serve reporting interface is what I would be thinking

Gerry

@Gerry

In our case, to export the entire list (of what the user's see when browsing their tickets) to a CSV file might just be enough for our customers to start with.

But having a basic reporting module / dashboards within the self service portal would be a great idea, particularly for the managers, and managers of managers (and so forth). Maybe having a Self Service Portal Reporting / Customer Service Portal Reporting job role.

But I think they will be happy with exporting their curent list to CSV file for now, at least it's a step in the right direction for something that would benefit them.

Thanks,

Samuel

• 2 months later...

@James Ainsworth

The two are linked, in that at the basic level we first need to display the SLA/Service Level for those requests using SLM and Priority for those using the older SLA method. Then provide the ability for the portal user to export or report on their requests which includes this SLA information. This needs to be accessible both at the list level as well as when viewing individual requests, as some of our larger customers will have a significant volume of open requests of varying types.

With 1,100+ organisation records already in our system, which will grow significantly more as we merge in more desks, the only sustainable option is to provide a 'self serve' export/reporting option to allow portal users to extract their request information and performance data. Setting up and maintaining scheduled reports on behalf of each organisation is not practical.

Cheers

Martyn

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

A new Service Manager setting has been added to allow customers to download their requests from the portals.  

guest.servicemanager.portal.requestList.export

This setting can be access in Administration under Hornbill Service Manager->Settings

Setting this to on will enable the visibility of the download icon shown below:

image.png

Regards,

James

• 2 weeks later...