Reporting on Assets

Tina.Lapere

Hi,

I'm trying to pull off all the details we hold for our assets however I can't seem to be able to select all the fields when preparing the report - for example Manufacturer, Model, CPU's etc.  They are not appearing in the Available Columns area.

Would someone mind explaining why they are missing and how I add these are I need to pull off these reports for audit purposes, FOI's etc.

Thanks

Tina

Hi @Tina.Lapere

The Asset structure for Service Manager is one where there is a central Asset table (h_cmdb_assets), and this contains all the common attributes of every asset (Name, Type, Warranty info etc).  

Service Manager then has 8 different Asset Classes (Computer, Printer etc) each have their own table which contains attributes which are specific to the specific Asset Class (CPU etc for Computers, IMEI number of Mobile Class etc). As such you would need to create a report with joins between the h_cmdb_assets table and then for each different Asset class, the relevant extended table for example - h_cmdb_asset_computers for Computer class  - this would then return all the extended attributes specific to the assets types which sit under the Computer Class (this maybe things like Server, Desktop or any other type of asset you have created using that Asset Class.

There is more info on the Asset Classes, and Types here on the wiki:  https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Understanding_the_Asset_Structure

You can also now see each Asset Class table through an entity viewer in the admin console under service manager and Entity viewer:

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 22.49.36.png

If you highlight a class header and click on the i button in the top righthand corner you will see more detail about the related table (including name, and columns), this maybe useful when you are creating your SQL report and joining the tables

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 22.50.19.png

Typically in this scenario to report on all Asset types of Class Computer you would need to create a report joining the h_cmdb_assets table with the h_cmdb_asset_computers table joining on the assetid column (the primary / foreign key for each table respectively).

This would then return all the columns for that class in the column selector as shown below for Computer Class

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 22.56.43.png

On a side note, once you have selected your columns, if required you can click on the icon next to each column name and edit it to give it a nice display name for when the report is run.

Hope this helps

Steve