(Idea) Hornbill Knowledge Hub

Hornbill Knowledge hub  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this idea?

• Good idea
    • Not a good idea (please explain in a post)

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forums, and/or it's already been discusssed.

I keep seeing users and Hornbill staff alike providing examples on how best to use the system.

This got me thinking... I was wondering if there could be a Knowledge Hub somewhere on the forums / wiki / another source which Hornbill and Forum Users can contribute to share knowledge or hints and tips on Hornbill, API's etc.

• This Knowledge Hub could have categories for the different areas of Hornbill (Best Practices / SQL / Reports / PCF / BPM / API's etc)
  • Tags are used against a Knowledge much like the way the Hornbill documentation is used.
  • Users can then search the Knowledge Hub to see if anything they want to do has already been posted or not.
  • Users can comment and collaborate on the Knowledge

Something a bit like this on StackOverflow - http://stackoverflow.com/documentation/powershell/1067/loops#t=201705031606276839395

At the top, there is section in the menu called Documentation (BETA) for reference.

If we can lock this Knowledge Hub to just users of the forums then this keeps everything in a secure place.

Thanks,

Samuel

I may have put this topic in the wrong place - could a mod move this to somewhere more appropriate?

Guest Ehsan

@samwoo,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We certainly value your opinion on Hornbill matters.

We use the Hornbill Wiki and Harry Hornbill Notices to demonstrate our products and services and provide examples. The forum provides a collaborative Platform for the Hornbill community to share their challenges and questions. It would be fairly restrictive if an opportunity such as a "Best Practice" thread is locked away. Taking a look back at some of those forum posts, tips and advise on "Best Practise" comes from users with different backgrounds in the Hornbill community - Hornbill Support, Hornbill Developers, Service Desk Managers, Operations Managers and Analysts are just some examples. Perhaps a thread called "Best Practice" under the Hornbill Platform section on the forum would help. We're proactively updating the Hornbill Wiki to provide as much information on our products and services to help our users to build and manage their business and operational functions. This is an area that is ever developing and very much a work in progress. Please do bring to our attention, if you notice a lack of documentation.

Thanks,

Ehsan

2 hours ago, Ehsan said:

@samwoo,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We certainly value your opinion on Hornbill matters.

We use the Hornbill Wiki and Harry Hornbill Notices to demonstrate our products and services and provide examples. The forum provides a collaborative Platform for the Hornbill community to share their challenges and questions. It would be fairly restrictive if an opportunity such as a "Best Practice" thread is locked away. Taking a look back at some of those forum posts, tips and advise on "Best Practise" comes from users with different backgrounds in the Hornbill community - Hornbill Support, Hornbill Developers, Service Desk Managers, Operations Managers and Analysts are just some examples. Perhaps a thread called "Best Practice" under the Hornbill Platform section on the forum would help. We're proactively updating the Hornbill Wiki to provide as much information on our products and services to help our users to build and manage their business and operational functions. This is an area that is ever developing and very much a work in progress. Please do bring to our attention, if you notice a lack of documentation.

Thanks,

Ehsan

Hi @Ehsan,

Thanks for responding. The reason I had this idea was because of everyone having different experiences and skills, if people wanted to share them - they could if there was somewhere to showcase it.

As an example - someone may be doing something in Hornbill, and have no problem at all... but not realise that there could be better ways to do the very same thing. They wouldn't likely to create a topic because everything is already working, but what they might not realise that it could be done even better and more efficiently...

Another example - I create Powershell scripts for interfaces and  when browsing online I am finding better ways of doing the things I am doing right now, and I am also finding things that I didn't know I could do. I was searching for a how to whilst browsing and instead I discovered new ways of doing things not related to my search.

I don't think there is a lack of documentation (i've had no problems at least), but there are a lot of examples and helpful tips from Hornbill and users on the forums, showing how to do things I didnt realise i could do, or thought of. I was thinking that it would be nice to have everything in one place for users to discover and share knowledge.

Cheers! :)

Samuel