Help automating email to incident creation

JonathanD

Hi - I'm trying to automate creation of an incident upon receipt of an email from our monitoring system. I've looked at the webinar, created a routing rule that looks for a particular text string and have emailed in a few test emails containing said string but I can't get it to work. We do have a bit of customized setup in that we add customers as linked connections upon logging a call so I'm a bit worried that our particular config is inhibiting this functionality ?

Thanks for any help,

Jonathan

2017-04-27 (1).png

2017-04-27 (4).png

2017-04-27 (5).png

@JonathanD as @DeadMeatGF suggested, you would need a different operator (the LIKE operator) if you want to match a specified pattern in a string (text). Using equal (=)  in the rule expression means that you instruct the routing rule to "hard" match, in other words match the field with the whole value, rather than searching for that value in the field you specified (body, subject, etc...).

Alos make sure the syntax is correct, for example "bodysubject" is an invalid field, it needs to be either "body" or "subject"...

ah great - thanks guys for the responses.. I've changed the string as recommended but still can't see an incident being raised.. is there a log file or something I can access to try and figure out where this might be stuck ? :unsure:59022625df6dd_2017-04-27(9).thumb.png.665a7c62f62f095d02aff5c7995e5570.png

Hi @JonathanD,

I just wanted to check that you have the routing rules enabled.  There are also some logs that can be looked at in Administration under System->Monitor->Log Files

Have a look at the EspMailService.log and the EspServerService.log.  There are some filters when viewing the logs and you will want to select to show Emergency, Alert, Critical, and Error.  A lot goes through these logs so you will want to monitor this as an email arrives.

For testing purposes you can create a very simple Rule Expression to match something basic in an incoming test email.  This way you can eliminate if the rules expression is causing the issue or not. 

enableroutingrules.PNG

Regards,

James

Thanks James - surprise, surprise, having switched it on.. that rule now works !! (Doh).. How can I ensure that the text of the email is automatically included in the incident description ? I can't seem to see it in there at the moment..

Cheers,

Jonathan

2017-05-02.png

@JonathanD when autoresponder raises a request, the email subject is put as incident summary and email body as incident details... This is not working for you? (I had a look in the logs, I can't see any request where this failed)... Btw, the logs screenshot you posted are not relevant for this, the autoresponder actions are recorded into server service logs...

Hi Victor.. ok, so I have the subject line inserted properly into the incident description, however I can't see the message body anywhere.. Is there a config option I'm missing here somewhere ?

Cheers,

Jonathan