Count of tickets in "Views" does not match "All my Teams"

samwoo

Hi,

First indicator of a problem

My colleague has noticed an issue today.

He is the only person who deals with leavers in the Tech Support team. He has a view that looks for tickets in the leavers team, that are "Open" or "On-Hold". Earlier he had 33 tickets in there.

After dealing with a single Leavers ticket, going back to his view... he now has 16 tickets in there. Him being the only person that deals with these tickets, this is very odd.

He then checked the "Leavers" team rather than his view... and it clearly shows that there is a total of 33 tickets in there, but his view is still showing 16.

All the resoved tickets from the Leavers queue are move to another queue.

My Testing

My View

1. I then did a test on my "Views" where I am a member of 4 teams.5901c9a793c35_HornbillIssue.png.3cf39bdbf62b95ad1d7c858c82fb7cff.png
  2. In this "View" i have 151 requests (along with other members of my team)
    ViewProof1.png.8b6f88a0ba7688933ed503121ec9adab.png

All My Teams

1. I then went to choose "All My Teams" as you can see here i am a part of 4 teams, same as what my view is showing
    5901ca1ab32f6_HornbillIssue2.png.0e0d8f701275f2334119820eb26da9e2.png
  2. In here i have a total of 173 request. I take away 5 resolved = 168
    ViewProof2.png.e5f0dd0884bd5b7b29fad9cc2e277d2a.png
  3. The issue is very apparent.
  • In my "View" I have 151 requests where status = New, Open , On-Hold
  • In "All my teams" i have a 168 requests where status = New, Open , On-Hold after taking away 5 resolved requests.

Can this be looked into? Most people uses views... Now i am concerned that requests may be missed because of this issue.

Thanks,

Samuel

Guest Ehsan

@samwoo

I'm assuming that you've the relevant Application Roles to view all Request Types. Is your colleague granted the right to view all Request Types? Could it be that some of those Requests that you can see are of a Request Type that your colleague has no right to view?

Guest Ehsan

@samwoo

Also, if the status of a Request is "closed", then it will not appear under the "All My Teams" filter whereas it will appear against a View. This may also be the cause of the difference?

@samwoo

Access and visibility of request is determined by two factors:

• teams supporting the service on the request;
  • subscribers to the service on the request.

Static filters/views (such as All My Teams and All My Services) work like this:

• All My Teams will display all tickets where the analyst is member of the ticket owner team - service subscription is ignored.
  • All My Services will display all tickets where the service on the ticket is supported by the analyst team(s).

Custom filters/views work like this (when having or not having team or service condition):

• if the custom view has a team and a service condition both are evaluated when displaying the results;
  • if the custom view has a team condition but no service condition then displayed results will contain requests where the analyst is member of the ticket owner team specified in the condition and where the service on the ticket is supported by the analyst team(s);
  • if the custom view has a service condition but no team condition then displayed results will contain requests where the service on the ticket is supported by the analyst team(s) and where the analyst is member of the ticket owner team.

Think of custom filters/views, in regards to team and service filtering, as a combination of All My Teams and All My Services.

So, your custom view, which has a team condition will filter out tickets based on service subscription as well, whereby All My Teams ignore the service subscription criteria...which means different results. I haven't looked at the results returned in your instance by following the above logic maybe you can have a look if this is why you/your analyst see different results?

@samwoo just wanted to confirm one detail that might account for the difference. When using the All My Teams option, it looks like you may have only selected to show Incidents (which is the default), while the View will apply all request types unless you specify one or more as part of it.

If you could confirm, that would be great and if it's still an issue we can investigate further.

Hi all thanks for replying

@Ehsan
We have no restrictions on the request types people can view. As it's only our team (IT Department) that uses Hornbill, everyone has access to everything, with the only restrictions being the teams in Hornbill.

In the views we are only showing On-Hold, Open and New requests, when we look at All My Teams we take away the resolved calls from the equation. The two totals are very close to each between both views, yet some are missing in the custom one.

@Victor
The leaver's team has no subscribers or supporting teams against it meaning its available to all.

My Applications ones do. I did another test this time with just one team (Applications General).

I put the two request lists side by side.

My Custom View for Apps General has 30 Requests
My Applications - General list has 39 Requests

Looking at both lists, at the requests missing from my custom view in the Application - General request list... there is no indicator as to why this behaviour is occuring.

For example SR00027654 isn't showing in my Custom View. This request is in the Service Desk service, and there are no supporting teams or subscribers set up against this service so it's available to all. It's confusing as there are no indicators as to why this has happened.

@Ehsan 

Following on from testing a single Team, Applications - General is showing all types of requests. Currently we only have SR's and IN's in here. My custom view is also showing both types of requests... but a reduced number of them.

Many thanks,

Samuel

Guest Ehsan

@samwoo Any chance you could export the data (using the export option in the Requests List) for your Custom View and the "Apps General" filter option in Requests List, to compare the difference between the two? Things to look at for, is the difference in Status, Organisation, Company, Owner, Service, Service Level Agreement and Service Level fields to begin with.

Guest Ehsan

I have created some test data in my instance...

I have created two Service Portfolios:

• General Support - Supported by 1st Line Support and 2nd Line Support teams (I am a member of both)
  • New Starter - Supported by all teams

Capture1.JPG

I have raised a combination of open and on-hold Incidents and Service Requests against each Service and associated to different teams.

Capture2.JPG

I then created a Custom View such as the following. This shows me all 12 requests.

Capture3.JPG

I then had a look at "All My Teams" filter in the Requests List shows me the same number of requests. I then created Service Requests with "resolved" and "closed" statuses and I get the correct number of requests presented. Finding it difficult to find a fault with the filters :(

Hi @Ehsan,

I did as you suggested to compare the two views in Excel using the Export button.
5902fb41cce25_ViewsExport.thumb.png.52f98cd2eebdab34c8cdbb2d000e4fca.png

The left side is my custom view, the right side is the Apps General view.

The ones highlighted bold on the right side are the ones missing from my custom view. It seems to be related to the Service Desk service.

I then double checked the Service Desk service... it all looks fine...?
5902fbbe90c06_ServiceDeskPage1.png.3b7805b19789d3362058ea950c694bf4.png

Nothing makes sense here :( (with regards to how it's set up on our Hornbill)

Thanks,

@samwoo

Guest Ehsan

@samwoo It helps to know that we have narrowed it down to one Service Portfolio. Could you add two teams as the Supporting Teams of the Service and then remove them after? Then refresh your filters. Just trying to work out if this is data related.

4 hours ago, Ehsan said:

@samwoo It helps to know that we have narrowed it down to one Service Portfolio. Could you add two teams as the Supporting Teams of the Service and then remove them after? Then refresh your filters. Just trying to work out if this is data related.

Hi @Ehsan,

I did as you have requested, and it hasn't worked or made a difference.

However after doing so I then proceeded to add the Applications - General team as a supporting team to the Service Desk service and I can now see the extra 9 tickets (total 39) in my Custom view, i compared this with the Applications - General queue and it's a match.

I went back and removed Applications - General from the Service Desk service and I'm back to 30 tickets on my Custom view. The Service Desk service doesnt have any Supporting Teams or Subscribers at this point so I am back to the issue I am having.

Something has gone horribly wrong with the Service Desk service methinks.

Thanks,

Samuel

Guest Ehsan

When the Service is supported by all teams, you cannot see the Requests that belong to it but when the Service is supported by a team that you're the member of, you can. OK, so that's the problem and we will look into it. Thanks @samwoo

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:26 PM, Ehsan said:

When the Service is supported by all teams, you cannot see the Requests that belong to it but when the Service is supported by a team that you're the member of, you can. OK, so that's the problem and we will look into it. Thanks @samwoo

Hi @Ehsan,

Many thanks for looking into this.

Regarding my colleague's issue in the first post, I we have narrowed it down to the · 4 Leaver Process · service not showing up in his "Views" but it is showing up when clicking on the New Starter Request team view. The same as the issue I am having with Application General.

I have a feeling this is more widespread than I originally thought.

Thanks,

Samuel

Guest Ehsan

@samwoo - Precisely, it seems to be where a Service is supported by all teams? We're still investigating this problem and we will let you know as soon as we have made progress with this.

Hi @Ehsan,

Just thought to add that I looked in the tables, and there is a team assigned to the Leavers service that isn't visible in the Supporting Teams on the front end.

Thanks,

Samuel

Hi @Ehsan,

I have discovered something else... and I did something I dread doing, but got it fixed.

We starting having major issues with people accessing these tickets against the Service Desk service saying access denied, and it got worse and worse.

I investigated the Service Desk service in the tables using the following (where 1 is the ID of the Service Desk Service)

SELECT * FROM h_itsm_serviceteams where h_fk_serviceid = 1

Looking at the team against this Service in Database Direct... there is a team that didn't exist on Hornbill - FirstTimeFix. I'm not sure how this got onto the Supporting Teams but this may have been added in as a test at one point then removed... from the front end, but not in the tables.

I do not know when the FirstTimeFix team was removed from Hornbill, but lets say it was last week when this issue first occurred (i will need to find out from my colleagues if they removed it at any time). Looking today it was still in the tables! And because of the issues we are having I went in and deleted this record.

delete from h_itsm_serviceteams where h_fk_serviceid = 1

Voila! The users are now able to view the calls they were unable to view in Service Desk service.

I wonder if there should be a process that runs every night that constantly checks for all the connections between different tables to see if there is anything missing/broken and produce a log?

I'm not sure i should continue with what I did... for the other Services... I did this due to the urgency

Thanks,

Samuel

Guest Ehsan

Hi @samwoo,

That's great to hear, superb debugging skills! Thumbs up! B) 

That's actually great help to us because we were performing functional tests for the upcoming update of the Service Manager app around this area and we were not able to find the possible cause although our next step was to do a code review to find the root cause. This is great help to us and we will consider our options to find a suitable solution.

Thanks,

Ehsan

On 5/4/2017 at 8:53 AM, Ehsan said:

Hi @samwoo,

That's great to hear, superb debugging skills! Thumbs up! B) 

That's actually great help to us because we were performing functional tests for the upcoming update of the Service Manager app around this area and we were not able to find the possible cause although our next step was to do a code review to find the root cause. This is great help to us and we will consider our options to find a suitable solution.

Thanks,

Ehsan

Hi @Ehsan,

Just to inform you that I have removed the hidden teams using the following SQL

SELECT * FROM h_itsm_serviceteams WHERE h_fk_teamid NOT IN (select h_id from h_sys_groups)

DELETE FROM h_itsm_serviceteams WHERE h_fk_teamid = 'FirstTimeFix'

It confirmed 2 services having the FirstTimeFix team, which i removed.

If you need me to do any testing for any fixes then I can re-add (and other dummy teams) this via SQL to a Test Service to purposely break it.

Thanks,

Samuel