Parallel Processing

SJEaton

Hi

I've not been shown parallel processing but think I need it in a workflow I'm setting up as there are at least 3 or more human tasks that need to start running once the request has been allocated to an owner so I'm going to have a stab at it.  I currently have some of the human tasks set up under different stages in the workflow though as really I think I want to run parallel stages but I'm guessing you can't have parallel processes that run across different stages right?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Sam  

Hi @SJEaton

The parallel processing would be specific to each stage, so you would need to use the Start Parallel Processing and the Finish Parallel Processing nodes in the same stage, with the required tasks or other activity defined in between.

Below is an example where i have two streams of tasks occurring within my parallel processing, and they then come back together.

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 10.15.26.png

In this example, the Configure Equipment and the Add User to AD will be created in parallel, but i don't need the Add User to AD task to be completed, for the Install Applications task to be created once the Configure Equipment task is complete.

I hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Victor that's good to know.

I've created a parallel process now with 3 processes which seems to work which is great, but one of the processes has a decision node in it that an outcome of which may mean the process ends.  This has caused an error though when I try it out which says "Destructing the flow path tree before reaching its root..."  which I think means that I cant end a process before ending the parallel process.  Is that right?  Do I need to have this decision outside of the parallel process? 

Thanks

Sam    

Capture.PNG

@SJEaton hmm... interesting scenario you have there, I actually never thought of it before :) ... Your assumption is correct, you can't end the BP inside parallel processing... you don't necessarily have to have the decision node outside, but the end needs to be outside... What is the process trying to do, how you want it to work? Perhaps we can think of a way to achieve the desired workflow with the end node outside...

Basically this process relates to the appointment of new employees and there are 3 things we need to wait for, ie start date, DBS check and references and these can be received in any order, hence why I've done it as parallel processes.  If references are received and approved then that's fine but if the outcome is that references aren't approved then I want to end the process as the person won't be appointed therefore the rest of the process outside of the parallel process won't take place. I hope that explains what I'm trying to do? 

Sam