Snippet Formatting

SJEaton

Hi, I'm making good use of the snippets functionality to send customers emails where attachments are required to be added and/or certain variables are needed that I can't build into auto- email templates.  It would however be good if I could format the snippet text better e.g. bold text, italics, bullet points etc.  Can this be done or is it just basic text that can be entered in snippets?

Thanks

Sam

• Like 1

Hi Sam,

At the moment it is just basic text.  We are looking into options to provide more of a rich text environment for sending emails from a request.  We are only at the investigation stage of this so it may be a while before this is available.  We will keep you posted.

Regards,

James

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi

I just thought I'd give this post a bit of a bump because I'm currently working on snippets and would like more formatting features if possible. This includes the ability to add links such as FAQ's or Catalog items on the self service portal. 

Is there any update on where Snippets will have more formatting options? 

thanks

Darren 

• 8 months later...

Question about more formatting options for Snippet came up today - we would like to see fonts, tables, and pictures.

Plus why isn't it available in all places where we can enter text (eg. update, on hold and resolve)?

Nasim

• Like 1

Hi @nasimg

There are a number of changes required in order to provide more formatting options for snippets.  Some of these are in the works but it will be some time yet before we can look to enhance the email snippets.

We have also considered having snippets available elsewhere.  We do have hundreds of great ideas from our customers in our backlog and we do our best to prioritise and process these changes.  This would be a nice features and hopefully we will see this too at some point in the future.  

Regards,

James

Allowing snippet formatting and their usage alsewhere would be an awesome improvement to usability. When planning for it, please allow for translations as well.

• 9 months later...
Guest Paul Alexander

Just thought I'd revisit this post to see if any more thought has been given or progress made on formatting snippets please? I'm looking at adding some new snippets which would look a lot better if they had formatting (such as bullet points etc) in them

thanks

@Paul Alexander @SJEaton @HHH @nasimg @Darren Rose

Hi All,

Whilst we still don't currently have snippet formatting, we do have another feature which may assist with some of the areas you are experiencing that require this. 
There is a Service Manager system setting you can turn on called: app.email.request.operation.templateSelectable - this will allow you to choose from the list of Email Templates on your system - which can be formatted. You will also notice that the variables are resolved when selected so they can be used a bit like snippets in that sense. 

_10__IN00000523_-_Hornbill.jpg

Whilst this is not ideal (as this is a global setting so everyone will see the list, and only people with access to the email templates can amend), it may be useful in some of your cases. 

I hope this helps,

Kind Regards

Bob

33 minutes ago, Bob Dickinson said:

@Paul Alexander @SJEaton @HHH @nasimg @Darren Rose

Hi All,

Whilst we still don't currently have snippet formatting, we do have another feature which may assist with some of the areas you are experiencing that require this. 
There is a Service Manager system setting you can turn on called: app.email.request.operation.templateSelectable - this will allow you to choose from the list of Email Templates on your system - which can be formatted. You will also notice that the variables are resolved when selected so they can be used a bit like snippets in that sense. 

_10__IN00000523_-_Hornbill.jpg

Whilst this is not ideal (as this is a global setting so everyone will see the list, and only people with access to the email templates can amend), it may be useful in some of your cases. 

I hope this helps,

Kind Regards

Bob

Hi,

Will we eventually be able to select what people can see in that list in the future?

Thanks,

Samuel

Guest Paul Alexander

@Bob Dickinson

That setting will be very helpful thank you........it might get us over the problems we're having at the moment with trying to get a well formatted email which may not be the 'default' email template for that service. 

So yes, this is good....thank you.

8 hours ago, samwoo said:

Hi,

Will we eventually be able to select what people can see in that list in the future?

Thanks,

Samuel

Hi @samwoo,

I'm not aware of any short terms plans to allow the segregation and selection of items in this list of templates between different users - that may be one for @James Ainsworth to comment on in terms of how this would work alongside snippets in the Email function of Service Manager. At the moment, this has been introduced as an additional system setting to faciliate the manual sending of consistent templates at times where it can't or shouldn't be done automatically as part of a Business Process.

Kind Regards

Bob

Guest Paul Alexander

@Bob Dickinson

In the future, would it be possible to only allow particular templates to be used depending on the service selected? I think this may be a better solution than limiting WHO can see the templates - so if the request is logged under Service A, and this template is in the list of available templates for this service, then it's visible. 

If the template is NOT in the list of available templates for that service, then it's NOT visible.

We have a number of different teams using Hornbill, and they all have tickets logged against their own specific service (HR, Health and Safety, Training Academy etc) and they all have their own email templates which are specific to their teams. Because of this we have a LOT of separate email templates which are used for particular requests and services etc, which aren't used anywhere else. So being able to show/hide available templates which are locked to their teams/services would make more sense to me......

just a thought....

thanks

1 minute ago, Paul Alexander said:

@Bob Dickinson

In the future, would it be possible to only allow particular templates to be used depending on the service selected? I think this may be a better solution than limiting WHO can see the templates - so if the request is logged under Service A, and this template is in the list of available templates for this service, then it's visible. 

If the template is NOT in the list of available templates for that service, then it's NOT visible.

We have a number of different teams using Hornbill, and they all have tickets logged against their own specific service (HR, Health and Safety, Training Academy etc) and they all have their own email templates which are specific to their teams. Because of this we have a LOT of separate email templates which are used for particular requests and services etc, which aren't used anywhere else. So being able to show/hide available templates which are locked to their teams/services would make more sense to me......

just a thought....

thanks

Hi @Paul Alexander

Thanks for the feedback - that certainly seems like a valid request, and I can see how this would work consistently with how other areas of a Service selection would work currently (for example you can set a default template per Service -> Request Type at present).
We will certainly take this into account when making improvements in the future to this area - plus how Email Templates and Snippets can both be used most effectively for analysts. 

Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Dickinson said:

Hi @samwoo,

I'm not aware of any short terms plans to allow the segregation and selection of items in this list of templates between different users - that may be one for @James Ainsworth to comment on in terms of how this would work alongside snippets in the Email function of Service Manager. At the moment, this has been introduced as an additional system setting to faciliate the manual sending of consistent templates at times where it can't or shouldn't be done automatically as part of a Business Process.

Kind Regards

Bob

Thanks Bob,

The reason I am asking is we have a huge list of templates (we need to tidy up at some point) and it's tricky to scroll up and down the list where our analysts can see every single template, even ones that are primarily used during the BPM. I will see what @James Ainsworth says.

Thanks,

Samuel

EDIT: I just re-read what @Paul Alexander was asking about - having Email Templates based on a Service will work by the sounds of it as well. Just a further thought, could we have an option to specify which parts of Hornbill will use each Email Template?

I can envision something like a checkbox available under each email template -     

[  ] BPM     [  ] Request Email        (and any other areas that use's email templates)

We can then also use this feature to filter the email list as well, as well as filtering the list of templates visible in areas were you can choose them.

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2019 at 10:40 PM, James Ainsworth said:

@Paul Alexander @samwoo

I have an existing change in our backlog to provide filtering on the list of available Email Templates on the Email Action within a request.  I'll add you both the the change.

Regards,

James

Please add us as interested as well

• 3 weeks later...

+ 1 for us to on this, haven't set up many templates yet but it would be useful to have some way of splitting up the snippets to either service or team.

Another thing we really need (probably need another topic for this) but we have so many reports, widgets, measures and dashboards it would be so useful to have a way of filing them or splitting them between teams or areas.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Paul Alexander

Hello

Is there any movement on snippet formatting yet please? 

OR about limiting the email templates available for a particular request or team?

The question about why snippets can't be formatted came up again today so thought I'd give this a bump....

thanks

• 2 weeks later...