Conditional on Source?

DougA

If there a way I can have test if a PC was triggered by self service? Basically I don't want to allow the user to choose the priority when logging a request through the self service portal.

Thanks

Doug

Guest Mohamed

Hi @DougA

With regards to your query, as @Gerry mentioned you are able to configure what Progressive Capture you wish to present to the user. User's are only able to log requests by selecting a Catalog in the portals, therefore against particular catalogs you can define progressive captures with not priority form defined

Hope that helps

Mohamed 

I must be missing something REEAAALLLYYY obvious.

app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newSelfService is set to run a default PC. We've set up all of the services and the associated catalog items which defines the PC to run. Until now only the analysts were using this but as part of a much larger project we're launching self-service. Both self-service and analysts are being presented the same form. I haven't seen where you can set a different PC for self service.

Thanks

Doug

Hi @Gerry

app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newSelfService is set to run a default PC. We've set up all of the services and the associated catalog items which defines the PC to run. Until now only the analysts were using this but as part of a much larger project we're launching self-service. Both self-service and analysts are being presented the same form. I haven't seen where you can set a different PC for self service.

Thanks

Doug

Hi @Gerry, @Mohamed

app.itsm.progressiveCapture.newSelfService is set to run a default PC but as far as I can tell it never runs.

We've set up all of the services and the associated catalog items each of which defines the PC to run. Self Service presents the Services for selection and then the Configuration Items which runs the PC. Both self-service and analysts are being presented the same form. I haven't seen where you can set a different PC for self service.

Do I have to duplicate every single CI one for the analysts and one for self-Service? Would that mean I'd then need to duplicate the PC but leaving out the priority?

Thanks

Doug

@DougA

When logging new incident via one of the portals, you have in affect already selected the service and catlog item by navigating to the service and selecting the catalog item. Therefore as I understand it,  it runs the PC associated directly with the catalog item, not the default PC anymore. 

Unlike in the live app where you start the process by clicking on Riase New or Raise New Incident, as at this point it does not know who the call is being logged under and the service/catalog, so it has to use the default PC in order to determine these and then 'switch' over to the service/catalog specific PC.

At the moment I do not believe there is a equivalent of the Raise New on the portal outside of the selecting it via the service/catalog route.

Cheers

Martyn

@DougA

The source is not present in the variables in the Progressive Capture, so at the moment is not possible to branch on it.

We approached this in a slightly different way using a custom form asking them for their 'Requested  Priority' which is used by the Service Desk and on our portals. Then in our BPM we actually set the priority manually as part of validating the request.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi @Martyn Houghton,

I agree. In the Portal the customer details are provided via the account logged in; the request details by the input form and the service details by the selection of the Service and CI before switching to the Procap specified in the CI where the request details form is presented.

The app requests the customer details, Request details and Service details via the relevant forms. It then switches to the procap specified in the CI. The request details form isn't presented again as it's already been gathered.

Capture.PNG.f0026deaced539bff495db1b19b98ff4.PNG

So how on earth do I present different procaps depending on where it's being logged, Portal or App? I can't see an easy way to re-use code and I really don't want the headache of maintaining separate CIs and Procaps.for the portal or app.

We want to provide a very simple impact/urgency matrix to the user with a more complex selection for the analyst. For instance an end-user can't log a major incident but analysts can. Having the ability to set a condition on the source would allow slight variations to the procap.

Regards

Doug

@DougA

At the moment without Hornbill exposing the source type value in the progressive capture flow so that you can branch based on its value, the only way will be to duplicate you catalog items, one for ServiceDesk one for Portals.

The only other workaround I can see is that you have a single PC with the Impact/Urgency custom form, but set the BPM to assign the incident immediately to analyst who logged it if the source is via the service desk along with a human task to actually set the priority.

@James Ainsworth can a change request be raised to provide the source type value in the progressive captuer flow when run via live user app and the portals?

Cheers

Martyn

Hi @DougA

Firstly, as you and @Martyn Houghton have pointed out, there is not currently a way of branching on the source of a request during a Progressive Capture. This is a valid request, it has been asked for before and we do have an outstanding request to implement this. This is not our 90 day board currently but your interest has been recorded. 

However what I wanted to do is see if there is a way of working around this using your current set up. You are right in that you could potentially create duplicate Catalog Items, one each for a User App and Portal Progressive capture, but although technically feasible it would not be something I'd recommend from a maintenance point of view if it can be avoided. 

Reading your most recent post I'm not sure if this next suggestion would work for you - but I was think you could include the Priority form in the User App progressive capture - BEFORE you switch the capture to the Catalog Item specific one? This way, the priority question will always be asked if logging from the User App but never be asked on the portal. What are your thoughts?

I know that where this solution won't work is if you want different questions in the Catalog Items progressive capture - as you mentioned above, you ask the Users one set of Priority criteria and the Analysts something else. Right now I can't see away this could currently be achieved without duplicate catalog items right now - as the Catalog Item Capture questions will always show in the user app if "Both" has been selected. 

Kind Regards

Bob

HI Doug,

Another consideration is to move the selection of the priority from progressive capture and have it in your BPM workflow.  There is more flexibility within the BPM for managing things like this.  I always like to think of the Progressive Capture as a simple and quick information capture to get a request raised and after this point it can be assessed, and settings such as priority can be determined and driven by the BPM.  

Regards,

James