View for documents - optimisation?

Lyonel

Hi guys,

We are testing the document manager app to see if it would work for a Knowledge Base repository. So far, it looks promising but one key thing is still bugging me: the view of documents (HTML pages). Indeed, I personally think there is room for improvement here. Let me show you what I am talking about here:

58dcf0bc69577_documentsview.thumb.png.269d8b96ca0a2ca0da812361c543d471.png

As you can see from the screenshot above, there is a lot of space "wasted" on either side of the document. Also, images within the document are not fully optimized in the sense that we sometimes need to resize the image to make it fit with the text / document. Finally, when printing, images are very blurred:

58dcf2fe50661_pdfversion.thumb.png.d2e78e87e4a2beb9cf2c2c5dad78a072.png

I don't know how much can be done about this or if you have things already in development but here are a few ideas on how to improve user experience, in my humble opinion:

• You could add a button "View full screen"  next to "Details" and "Print" buttons which would hide the bar & title at the top and use 100% of the screen width (as an overlay possibly)
  • When the user clicks on an image, display the image in full size in a "viewer" just like you have on timelines, workspaces, etc.
  • For the print feature, I am not quite sure what can be done... Maybe something like on this forum where you upload an image and then add it to the content. So that when you generate the PDF, you have the source image and therefore a much better DPI?

These are just ideas and I am obviously open to suggestions or comments :)

Just trying to make this component as user friendly as possible.

Hi @Lyonel,

You are right, there is plenty of room for improving in this view.

We have some plans (of course as always) to improve the view. The idea of the fool screen sounds good. Maybe something like Word has the option to view in Printing Page mode and Web Mode. So it will use the full with.

Regarding the print, I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like the image has low quality. Especially if you enlarge the image to fit the full with of the page. I'l pretty sure that the PDF will display it in a similar way.

Regarding PDF, we have plans to provide a Download option and the most obvious format is PDF. So this will be useful not only for downloading but also for Printing. This will take a bit longer, but the first ones should not take long to be implemented.

I'll keep you informed in this Post with updates.

Thanks,

Daniel

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @Lyonel,

We've just pushed to Live a new build of the Document Manager with a few UI improvements.

One is the toggle view option. Switches between Web View and Page like view.

The other one is a Full Screen preview.

We don't have yet the PDF download option, but I don't forget about this. It will be, just a bit longer.

Hope this helps. Let me know whet you think about this.

Thanks,

Daniel.

docmanager_web_view.png

docmanager_papaer_view.png