Portal - Accessibility Standard WCAG 2.0

Martyn Houghton

As a major proportion of our external customer base are public sector we are being asked to confirm what Accessibility Standards the Customer Portal meets as part of tender responses, i.e. does it comply with the below:-

WCAG 2.0 AAA

WCAG 2.0 AA or EN 301 549

WCAG 2.0 A

Can you advise if the Customer Portal currently meets these accessibility standards and if not are you planning to comply with them in the future?

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

This has also come up for us in G-Cloud 9. As it currently stands we do not benchmark against this standards so although we follow best practice guidelines when it comes to UI design we could not claim any kind of compliance today.  Like you guys, we also have a large number of public sector clients and so this does come up as an issue so we need to look into it further and see what needs to be done from our point of view.   Its on our radar but I don't currently have any timeframe or committed plan of action to communicate. 

Gerry

@Martyn Houghton

Yes they are, the portal would be the highest priority though because it has the potential to impact much larger audiences. The main user app is a different proposition because its a lot more complicated to cater for some of these requirements without removing functionality.  I expect what we would do is aim for compliance in the portal and a long running theme of compliance in the main app. 

Gerry

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I've just been asked a question about accessibility of the portal, specifically, does it work with Screen Readers?

Are there any updates to a timeframe or a plan of action regarding the portal as of yet?

Thanks.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

@Gerry is there any update to this?

I will shortly be visiting with a member of staff who is blind and uses a screen reader; he has tried the portal and is less than impressed. I would like to be able to give him some encouraging news. His feedback is:

First page:

The link for Log In isn’t shown as a link, it is shown as a title. I only realised it took me to another page when I tried clicking on the word Log In, so more luck than design. This needs to be made into a link to make it clear.

Request page:

It is difficult to tab through the links as I get no announcement. Some of the links are announced as “button”, this doesn’t let me know what the links are for.

Some of the selection options don’t show as links, just a list.

Is there anything further I can do in configuration, or does this require development?

Thanks

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/08/2017 at 4:30 PM, chrisnutt said:

Hi All,

I've just been asked a question about accessibility of the portal, specifically, does it work with Screen Readers?

Are there any updates to a timeframe or a plan of action regarding the portal as of yet?

Thanks.

Chris

Hi @chrisnutt

I've just been asked the same question by a "Jaws" screen reader user. It would be good to say Hornbill are looking at making it compatible with a recognised standard.

Nasim

• 6 months later...

Hi @chrisnutt

Please see the following document, this is our current status against WCAG 2.0 requirements.  We continue to plug away at this and meet more requirements, this wiki page is our running status.  Hope thats what you are looking for.  Apologies, this thread should have been closed out when we published that document. 

https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Collaboration_Core_WCAG20_report

Gerry

• Like 1

@chrisnutt

No problem. Consider the document a work in progress, we have published it so everyone has a point of reference for any individual item(s) we have either not yet covered or if there is any dispute about what we have implemented, makes it easier for everyone to reference. 

Gerry

• 1 month later...

Hi @Gerry

Many thanks for keeping us updated and the wiki page on this is great. Is there any kind of roadmap or timescales in order to gain increased compliance - at least to the basic A level?

We have noticed over the past year our potential customers in the public sector are beginning to ask questions of our offering around accessibility specifically.

Greg

@IntegraGreg

Its an ongoing process, there is a lot to change and some of the specifics are quite subtle, I am not sure we have a timeline for total compliance as there are some things we cannot meet without degrading functionality.  Others are more ambiguous and not obvious to us.  If there are specific things that are impeding your ability to use the application we will prioritise those, please let us know here. 

Thanks

Gerry

• 6 months later...

Hi @Gerry

I was wondering what the status is currently? The wiki page (https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Hornbill_WCAG_2.0_Status) has not been updated since April, and it seems so close to level A, and not much further then to AA.

I have an open KE (I consider it a KE) in our system about this and am being asked for an update by our Director. I'd very much like to be able to say something different to the last 4 times I was asked (which was "still waiting on Hornbill update")

Many thanks

@chrisnutt

I asked the question internally, I am not sure much further has changed in recent months, I think we were hoping to prioritize based on customer feedback/need, but I need to confirm that is the case. We are trying not to complete the list for the sake of turning it green and had instead planned to meet and prioritize requirements as they come up. 

[edit]
For example, 2.1.1 we probably cannot ever fully meet this, we would run out of keyboard shortcuts long before we got full coverage, there are so many areas of the application and that's expanding all the time.  So it is getting to know what's important and what is not that is the key for us.  Does that make sense?

What is your objective specifically? Are there specific things that we do not meet that you/your users need?

Gerry

Thanks Gerry.

Yes, your example makes sense.

We have a number of visually impaired users who use screen readers and voice control (to type). I visited with our accessibility team - admittedly a long while back - one of whom is visually impaired, and he took me through his challenges with it (see higher in this thread) and the objective is to get the Service Portal to a point where he feels he can use it. 

I have been reluctant to ask him to reassess without level A being met. However, I will have to do so to get a clearer picture of where we are now I think. I will post back when I get his feedback.

Chris

• 5 months later...

I've had a look through the wiki and (I could be missing it) I can't see anything specifically related to a talk to text tool that can be used within the Supportworks client or interfaced with the client for an agent to use when logging a call. Can you advise if there is such a thing? We have an agent who has a particular challenge regarding getting calls logged accurately and in a timely manner. Being able to dictate the information into SW8 would be very beneficial to him and also to other members of the team.