TSheward_SGW

Hello,

In progressive capture there is a date and date/time picker available. Please can you include a time only version and also give the ability to switch off seconds for all as this is too specific and unnecessary in most situations.

Also if some more thought could be given to the user experience of this form that would be great. A lot of the time it works fine but have had reports from users that it can be fiddly and after doing some testing have to agree with them. Sometimes you can type the time in, sometimes you can't and the minutes and hours don't "snap" to anything particularly useful for an end user (5, 10, 15 etc. or 00, 15, 30 etc).  

Many thanks,

Tom

Hi @TSheward_SGW

I agree, I use the date/time picket in our Change (start and end) and although the date bit is fine, I find time bit overly complicated (hit and miss).

I would remove the seconds (unlikely this would be needed) and allow the time to typed in (not offer the number box indicated in red) - perhaps a mask of some to show the format eg Hh:Mm

Regards

Nasim

time picket.jpg

@TSheward_SGW @nasimg not sure if it helps but what I sometimes do is have some timers saved in Notepad (like 09:30:00 or 16:05:00). When I want to set one of the times to a certain value I (first, change the time in Notepad to the value I want, if needed) then copy it from Notepad to the timer field ... copy/paste overwrites the timer and allows you to set that specific time.

Dear @TSheward_SGW, @nasimg,

A few things to explain:

1. The seconds are part of your time format defined in each user's profile. So if you want to hide the seconds you can just go to My Profile > Settings > Regional Settings > Set the Date Time and Time format
  2. I think the reason you can not enter minutes or hours is because the control expects two digits, so if you want to set 9:30 you need to type the zero before the 9. Should be 09:30. Does it work this way or is there a different problem?
  3. The rounded minutes 0,5,10, etc... The control sets by default the correct numbers, however, if you provide a default time like "NOW" then the minutes will have to be respected and the list will be these minutes + 5, so if you have 09:31, the options will be 36, 41, etc...
  4. we can add a new control that sets only time if you need. What you need to understand is that it will not be related to any date. So you will only get to store a string with the time, you will not be able to do any date calculations if you need. Is that what you want?

We are using 3rd party control for the date and time that covers many of our requirements all around our framework and is quite stable too. I understand that there are some limitation and if you think this is not good enough we will need to consider replacing this control and even simplifying this.

Thanks,

Daniel

Thanks @Daniel Dekel

Following your explanation, I can see the seconds have been removed for me, can I do this globally for all analysts?

I'm happy entering 09 rather than 9 (which I am doing), what I don't understand is the need to display the time as shown below (it is to cumbersome to be useful in my opinion), just displaying 00:00 would be enough of a prompt to me to type 09:30.

Regards

Nasim

counter.PNG

Hi @nasimg,

You can not apply it globally because this is the locale information for every user, for example if there is a person who lives in Canada, he will probably use the 12 hour format (9:30 am) and in that case the control will reflect that format. What you can do is set the defaults so that when a new user is created it will have these settings.

Some people use the control to select a time and some will type it manually as you do. So is very difficult to satisfy everybody that's why we've chosen this control, because it works for all.

Hope it is more clear.

Thanks,

Daniel.

Hi @Daniel Dekel

I'll have to take your word some customers like that control to add the time - in my example below (counter 2.png) I would struggle to use it to add 08:00. And Victor's workaround (which would actually help) to paste the time from notepad only supports my point the control is overly complicated.

counter 2.PNG

Also if I click a second time in the date or time box I get this other drop down which is not helpful at all (see counter 3.png).

counter 3.PNG

Hi @nasimg,

The first example is because you need to select the date before the time, if you do that you will have the 00:00 by default as in the attached image. Perhaps to make it more clear we need to disable the time if no date has been given.

Regarding the second screen shoot, is the first time I see something like this. It looks like the browser is trying to give you suggestions or similar. What browser do you use?. I will investigate this and get back to you regarding this.

Thanks,

Daniel

2017-03-07_1702.png