Details Form - Drop down list ordering

Martyn Houghton

At the moment when you configure a drop down list in the Services 'Details Form' the order is automatically sorted by the Label. It would be good to have the ability to order the items in the drop down list manually as alphabetical is not always the order you want the options to appear in.

details.JPG

Is this something that could be consider in the future.

Cheers

Martyn

Just a thought, but maybe to add a dropdown option in the Design Options asking what type of sorting and type you wish to use, should default to Name Ascending

- Custom Sorting
- Label Ascending
- Label Descending
- Value Ascending
- Value Descending

Thanks for the replies. Ideally we would like the same option as you do in the drop down boxes in progressive capture where you can order the items to whatever order you require.

orderlist.JPG

This give the greatest flexibility to order the list as you require, for instance we have some list which indicate the a position in a process or a mixed text/number version numbers, where sorting by value or label would result in the order we require. It would make send to duplicate the same UI options to allow ordering of simple lists.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

The only problem with doing this is while it would work for short lists, it would be hopeless for long lists of stuff.  Some people use these with 100's or even 1000's of items.  Perhaps an option would be for each list to have a sort by ID/sort by value option, that way for short lists you can use the ID values to imply sorting.  Would that work for your requirement?

[edit] Just read what Daniel suggested so thats the same as what I am proposing. 

Gerry

• 1 month later...

Just a suggestion, when we create Simple Lists by default the list is ordered in the order you added them. But have a button on the top to allow the user to choose the criteria which controls the list ordering A-Z, Z-A, Custom or Default, all done within Simple Lists.

Where a use chooses custom they can use the current ordering (ie. if they set it to A-Z) then they can move other items up and down the list as they require.

This would help with our Applications Simple List as we could put the most business critical applications at the top of the list, and all the others are sorted alphabetically underneath it.

Samuel

Hi Daniel,

Brilliant it'll be a great start to improve the Simple Lists in ways we've never done before.

Thanks,

Samuel

• Like 1

Hi Martyn,

Wanted to inform you that as part of this change, we've added an option to sort the Simple List by Label or Value in the form designer. This in not the final solution but is a step closer to what we want to achieve.

You will be able to see this in the next update of the Collaboration Core, should be within a few days.

I'll keep you informed about our next changes.

Thanks,

Daniel.

• 2 years later...
On 8/4/2016 at 8:39 AM, Daniel Dekel said:

I'll keep you informed about our next changes.

Hello,

Just wondering if there is any further changes to come in regards to the Simple Lists? Specifically ordering the list by ID?

I have a dilemma where I need to reorder a simple list, but I am not sure whether to use the Value or Display (for the moment).

Can someone answer the following:

1. When looking at a "Simple List" value in the BPM when reading from a Progressive Capture form, what is it looking at - Value or Display?
2. When viewing a "Simple List" in the Progressive Capture form, what will the customers see - Value or Display?

I need to know which column to put numbers in where it...

1. Won't affect what the customers see currently
2. Won't affect what the BPM is looking at (we use Simple Lists for the customers to ticket the Applications they use and it auto creates tickets into relevant queues)

Thanks,

Aaron :) 

Hi @Aaron Summers

Just read your question - could you specify what you mean with "Simple list" in BPM read by pro capture form?

Anyway will try to answer, there should be always item "Display" visible to user. "Value" is done just for data processing so you can do check against simple 1,2,3... not entire character sentences. 
Progressive capture when is displaying data from simple list in drop down/checkbox list/radios is always displaying items name (and item "Value" should be stored in DB).
In case of BPM not sure. Need to ask someone who is more familiar with this part but guessing that is similar.

Let me know if this is answer you've been looking for.

Thanks,
Miro